This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Shut down?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walking Crow
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Shut down????? Reply with quote

I have not seen one posting on this site for a very long time,Is it still up and being visited??
trent/OH
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it probably 5 or 6 days a week.
Walking Crow
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go on it every day and there has been zero postings far abck as I can read!!!!
Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what do you have to say of interest that will spark a conversation?

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: shut down Reply with quote

It would appear, in my opinion, that most folks have gone to "Frontier Folks'" website. It could also be because of "Facebook". Seems everyone I know uses Facebook. I for one DO NOT care for it. Other than that, can't say why folks left but do wish they would come back to this site.

Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonel,

Facebook is just a better place for folks that complain about no participation on traditional message boards to lurk. It's even easier not to participate on Facebook.

I try to be an active correspondent on Frontier Folk because there's a bunch of other guys there with whom I can conduct a conversation. Nothing against the Historical Trekking board - I've been a member for years. I refuse to sell my soul to the Facebook devil. I go where the exchange of ideas and information is most abundant. Walking Crow would have a more active forum to monitor here if Walking Crow would become part of the conversation.

And you don't have to have any kind of credentials to be part of the conversation. You don't have to be part of any group, either. What are you working on? What are you studying to augment the portrayal of your persona? Where are you wanting to go that enhances your historical knowledge? Been to any cool (or bad) events lately? Wanna go to any??

Because message boards lack an element of personal contact they seem to turn into competition to see who is the biggest or the best, even when that isn't the intent of the correspondents. Don't be intimidated by somebody else who seems to know more than you. Chances are that person just knows how to type their ideas down better than you. Lots of folks have important things to say, or ask, and just lack the talent to express their important ideas & questions in some kind of eloquent fashion. If it doesn't come across right the first time the message board is the perfect place to sculpt your statements with future posts.

This was a VERY active forum in the past, and I believe there are still probably a bunch of folks who still lurk (like me) just waiting for something exciting to erupt. Mr. Daiute has always been a very active participant on the HT board, and he personifies the guy who is good at expressing his views via the keyboard without intimidating somebody else who ain't a great composer of words.

This is my attempt to refresh the Historical Trekking message board - by encouraging those out there who may be shy to shed their inhibitions and light those keyboards up. I'm starting to reignite a personal dive back into living history. Hell, I might even progress forward in my historical study into the fur trade. Wanna see me in a coonskin cap and clutching a Hawken? Stay tuned...

Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is the way people used the internet now. Less and less are sitting in front of a computer and typing in messages. Now people use their iPhones or Androids. I was at a meeting last night and a tablet was being used to communicate with a person in Mexico City and everyone else was using phones of some sort. It is very easy to use Facebook on an android phone, but very difficult to use Historical Trekking. The site is just not "android friendly". And that goes for the Frontier Folks as well. The only site I use that has not changed is Honda-Tech. Don't know why, but it still remains the same. Probably something to do with how technical info is presented. I wonder if an app was written to better access this site, would it rejuvenate itself?
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: shut down Reply with quote

Mike, very well put. I suppose that when I became interested in the Long Hunter era this was the place to go to for help and great information and it feels like home. As a Master Mason I belong to two different Masonic Lodges but always refer to my first lodge as my "Home Lodge".
I do enjoy going to "Frontier Folks" also for its large variety of topics. I hope I did not come off as not like their web

One day come to Texas and experience our history. The Texas Revolution was short but so much history was made in the short seven months it occurred in.

Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact my plans were to BE in Texas right now! I was going to partially trace the path of the Canadian River and spend a couple of nights in the Rita Blanca National Grasslands. Just me, a big cigar, and a pint of bourbon under the Milky Way...

But a family medical problem intervened and derailed my trip to Texas/New Mexico. My visit will have to be rescheduled until after the new year.

There's a cave in the Comanche National Grassland that is only opened on the Spring and Autumn equinoxes. That's the only times that the sun shines on some primitive art on the cave walls. I might make the Grand Tour in March.

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: shut down Reply with quote

Mike,
The weekend in March closes to Palm Sunday will be the Fannin Massacre held at Presidio LaBahia in Goliad, Texas. It is the most surreal reenactment held in the state of Texas. The are three battles on Saturday during the day but come the evening the entire compound becomes as real as we can make it. Each room in the Presidio has a ensemble of reenactors recreating a scene that may have occurred during Fannin and his troop's incarceration there. It is all done by candle light to help set the tone. I could go on but I hope you get the picture. Go to "Presidio LaBahia" as a word search to bring up the website.

If you make it, I do not think you will be disappointed. The town of Goliad is located just 45 minutes south of the city of Victoria on Hwy 59.

bob miller
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so very happy to not own a "smart" phone. Overtime I see someone in town, they have their phone in hand. I've got better things to do.
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike facebook and stopped using it a few years ago. Its as dumb as the smart phones are smart. I am not a smart phone user but my wife and son are so I can get all the benefits without the addiction. Kind of like a contact high or second hand smoke?

Social Media is a very handy, cheap marketing strategy tool for companies agencies and individuals and it's definitely eclipsing website usage. So I guess as dumb as I think it is, its actually pretty smart.

I dream of the day when I do not have to touch a computer or a device. Being in the woods without them is like christmas day to me. I'd rather be outside building fence, tending my trees or garden, or just feeding my goats than sitting here pushing a mouse around like I am right now. But it has fed my family for 30 plus years so I cannot cry about it too much-- God is good and I am blessed. Not to wish anyone harm, but I am secretly rooting for Kim Jun Un of the Hermit Kingdom to disrupt our technology with an EMP. It would do us all a huge favor maybe... maybe not. K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com