This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
sealing leather canteen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: sealing leather canteen Reply with quote

I built a leather canteen, melted bees wax and pine pitch and it sealed perfectly. I have carried it all day and no leaks.

Recently I was told by a third party that pine pitch can contain giardia bacteria and that this fellow had contacted it from his canteen. Evidently the pine pitch tested positive. My thoughts are, this could be possible if the water he used was already contaminated?

Does any one have any thoughts about this? I sure would appreciate it!

Muskeg Stomper
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that you are right since guardia cists are passed through the intestinal tract of critters and can live in water for a very long time. Never heard of it existing in tree sap/pitch. Water simply contaminated the canteen.
Black Hand
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muskeg Stomper wrote:
I'm sure that you are right since guardia cists are passed through the intestinal tract of critters and can live in water for a very long time. Never heard of it existing in tree sap/pitch. Water simply contaminated the canteen.

I'll second this.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Doc Mark
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Yep, the water was contaminated, and the fellow was badly informed to have concluded as he did. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everyone! I certainly don't pretend to know everything, but I too was pretty sure it had to be the water. Now convincing the "bride" is a different story!!! LOL

kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think since you had to melt the beeswax and pine pitch to seal your canteen that any organisms would of been destroyed from the heat of melting the beeswax and pine pitch " if " those organisms could even live in those materials.

I agree with the rest of the guys. The water that guy put into his canteen was properly the problem. Always good to carry a tiny bottle of bleach ( unsented ) with you. Three to four drops per quart will kill all and any organisms in the water in 15 minutes.

trent/OH
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At low temperatures and especially at high pH, chlorine kills Giardia much more slowly. If the water is beyond about 8.5, contact time will have to be MUCH higher, if you can get a kill at all.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chlorine

Chlorine kills bacteria, including disease-causing organisms and the nuisance organism, iron bacteria. However, low levels of chlorine, normally used to disinfect water, are not an effective treatment for giardia cysts. A chlorine level of more than 10 milligrams per liter must be maintained for at least 30 minutes to kill giardia cysts.

Chlorine has been used since 1908 to disinfect water supplies in the United States to protect public health. The effectiveness of chlorination depends on the chlorine demand of the water, the concentration of the chlorine solution added, the time that chlorine is in contact with the organism, and water quality. These effects can be summarized in the following manner:

As the concentration of the chlorine increases, the required contact time to disinfect decreases.
Chlorination is more effective as water temperature increases.
Chlorination is less effective as the water's pH increases (becomes more alkaline).
Chlorination is less effective in cloudy (turbid) water.
When chlorine is added to the water supply, part of it combines with other chemicals in water (like iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide and ammonia) and is not available for disinfection. The amount of chlorine that reacts with the other chemicals plus the amount required to achieve disinfection is the chlorine demand of the water.
The safest way to be sure that the amount of chlorine added is sufficient is to add a little more than is required. This will result in a free chlorine residual that can be measured easily. This chlorine residual must be maintained for several minutes depending on chlorine level and water quality. Table 4 lists the free chlorine residual level needed for different contact times, water temperatures and pH levels.

Table 4
Necessary chlorine residual to disinfect water for various contact times, water temperatures and pH

Water temperature: 50 degrees F
Contact time Necessary chlorine residual (milligrams per liter)
pH = 7 pH = 7.5 pH = 8
40 minutes 0.2 0.3 0.4
30 minutes 0.3 0.4 0.5
20 minutes 0.4 0.6 0.8
10 minutes 0.8 1.2 1.6
5 minutes 1.6 2.4 3.2
2 minutes 4.0 6.0 8.0
1 minutes 8.0 12.0 16.0

Water temperature: 32 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit
Contact time Necessary chlorine residual (milligrams per liter)
pH = 7 pH = 7.5 pH = 8
40 minutes 0.3 0.5 0.6
30 minutes 0.4 0.6 0.8
20 minutes 0.6 0.9 1.2
10 minutes 1.2 1.8 2.4
5 minutes 2.4 3.6 4.8
2 minutes 6.0 9.0 12.0
1 minute 12.0 18.0 24.0

nwtradegun
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: pine pitch Reply with quote

has been used as an antiseptic for millennium. since the days before the copper age. same as honey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com