This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Can you correspond in a Delaware-related language?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Can you correspond in a Delaware-related language? Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I have been wanting to learn a Native American language in the Delaware language group for some time and although there are a smattering of websites out there where I could piece together a limited understanding of a particular language, its kind of like that tree falling in the woods..what good is it if nobody hears it? So, I was wondering if there is anybody who would like to at least do some kind of internet correspondence on a weekly basis to communicate in one of those languages, Algonkian, Ojib, etc.. If a couple of people wanted to do this also tremendous. And it would be icing on the cake to meet up with such people at least for one event and communicate in the language "in situ". Perhaps some Native reenactors are already doing this, but anyway thought id throw this out there...Im in the New York region but increasingly am able to travel further out especially for very interesting events....I love musketry but would like some variety and depth.......thanks much, Mike L.....
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Algonquin Language Reply with quote

Hi to all,

In my first posting on this topic I wondered if there was anyone out there who might like to add the acquisition of a Woodland forest Indian language into their persona. I often see German and French unit reenactors that can hardly utter a word in their "native" tongues...so I do believe that language could add an important, authentic and interesting dimension to an understanding of that era..and even moreso for those involved in Native American reenacting...llanguage as a tool to understand the mind of another culture.... I forgot to mention that I have been compiling a small dictionary along with some phonetic spellings in Algonquin (I suppose you would say a composite Algonquin language). I would share my compilation with somebody who wanted to help me build on this idea.....thanks..Mike L.
Belleville
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.native-languages.org/lenape.htm#language
Kinew
User

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanii, Boozhoo.

I've been learning the Chippewa-dialect and Mississauga-dialects of Ojibway since I was a youth. There's lots of good language programs available online, and even an Ojibwa podcast or two. Here's a video series I find good (though the woman's pronunciation is borderline atrocious)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4b4O2T_0Lc[/url]
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This website may be of interest: Lenape Language Preservation Project

This is sponsored by the Delaware Tribe of Indians, in Oklahoma, and is intended to support revitalization of the language. If you are serious about learning and developing your fluency, you might as well go to the source.

Best regards,

Brent
Belleville
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see facebook Lenapeowsi https://www.facebook.com/groups/282807558438059/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com