This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Fire Starting Methods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le Loup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Charred cloth (charcloth!) as Tinder? Reply with quote

[quote="jbtusa"]Jason: I hate to rain on your fire parade, but the use of charcloth by the 1800's western fur trappers cannot be documented. However, the use of charred wood, charred punk and tinder fungus is documented. For a LONG discussion about this, see: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236931/[/quote]

jbtusa is quite right, and I doubt cloth was used extensively even in the 18th century, though tow rag may have been used. For more information go to: [url][url]http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/search?q=TINDER+FUNGUS[/url][/url]
curnla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Char Cloth Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This is my first post as I just joined. I would second or third the idea that char cloth was not common. It was probably used in a home but even then a fire was not allowed to go out. Coth was costly in terms of time needed to produce. The thing I have found as a collector of antiques is that tinware of the 18th and early 19th century could not be used to char anything. The nature of the construction allowed for the thing to come completely unsoldered and fall apart when heated without fluid inside. Anything used for char material must be chared outside of a container to be authentic. If you want to use cloth, hold it with tongs and expose the cloth to a flame until it blackens. If it catches fire, blow the flames out. When black, throw it into your empty tinder box and close the lid to extinguish any fire or sparks.
Gottlieb
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: fire-starting methods Reply with quote

I have seen brass tubes with cord through them as a fire-starting aid: is this documented for 1600 or 1700s?
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic.

kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbtusa wrote:
Jason: I hate to rain on your fire parade, but the use of charcloth by the 1800's western fur trappers cannot be documented. However, the use of charred wood, charred punk and tinder fungus is documented. For a LONG discussion about this, see: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236931/

I could see how these would be true. Cloth was expensive and properly hard to get on the frontier so I can see why they wouldn't want to make it into charcloth. Punk wood and fungus were available naturally in the woods.

Stands to reason why use up a item like ( cotton cloth ) if you don't have to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com