This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Turtle Shells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMShook
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Turtle Shells Reply with quote

OK, I have been wanting for awhile to get some shells and make some bags from them. I saw a couple once and want to make some...I know I'm kinda odd! Anyway, I finally got a pretty good source of the things and they are pretty good sized shells. A guy trapped them out of his stock tank and let the bugs and buzzards work them over awhile and brought me a dozen or so. Well, nature did not do a complete job and you can imagine that the smell is MOST HORRID!! So I was wondering if I boiled the shells to remove the remainder of its previous occupents, would that remove it and would it damage the shell and make it unusable? Thanks.
tiny
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you being from Texas and all you would know to take the shells to a red ant den and place them there and let the ants clean them up. Make sure to take a cover such as a crate or tub and be sure to weight it down so coyotes won't get to them.

Tiny

choupic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if you did anything with them shells yet, but I wouldnt boil em.
When boiling it could loosen the joints not to mention the color is actually like a fingernail and will peel off. If you want it white then that will work. I'd like to see the bags when you finish, I have several shells myself and wondered about the use for a bag also.
DMShook
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....

some knucklehead decided that he needed them more than I did...would of liked to see the look on the person's face when they opened the box I had them stored in...
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make some nice slate turkey calls with smaller turtle shells also.

Not only do they work well, they look good also.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com