This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Spout Plug for Horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Spout Plug for Horn Reply with quote

When I make horns for customers or myself, I always make the spout plug shortly after the hole is drilled. Then I put it in a jar of bear oil (vegtible or olive oil will alos work) and leave it there till it sinks. (Ususally in a couple of days) Pull it out, wipe it off and put in the horn. (May have to be shaved down just a touch to fit right) but you NEVER have to worry about it swelling from moisture and getting stuck or worse yet, splitting the spout!

Submitted by: Mark R - dacroost@aol.com on March 16, 2001

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buzz.Mooney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: spout plug for horn Reply with quote

Good idea! I'd imagine it also makes the plug slightly sticky and prevents shrinkage, both of which would help keep it from falling out, and would also help in sealing out moisture. I'll have to try this. I might even do it with my base plug.
nessy357

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea ! I'm always having problems with mine.
Thanks
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use soft wood or hard?

Ed...Maurer....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to oil and wax mine, but never to the extent you recommend, and they sometimes stuck! Well, thanks for that insight, I'll remember it when I next make a horn!
two veuzs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont treat my plugs with anything but make sure the hole in the horn is tapered as well as the plug to prevent sticking. The waterproofing part would be wise.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com