This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Hunting with dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Wetherington
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Hunting with dogs Reply with quote

Does anyone else take their dogs hunting when they go traditional? I try to take my catahoula dog, Biscuit, every chance I get. He's hell on hogs...(and cow's.......). I just love having the company and he more than earns his meals on hunts.

Adam
PGTMG
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Hunting with Dogs Reply with quote

I have done it with modern guns on rabbits but never occured to me with the flintlock.

NWTF Longhunter
User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Beagle Dolly is hell on rabbits.

She loves to squirrel hunt too.

Swanny
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a yellow lab, seventh generation pointing lab, who was the most rabid bird dog I EVER shot over. We used to get four or five of us together to spend a day out shooting partridges with our trade guns, fowlers and even muskets, and Shunka would hunt all day long, and be disappointed when it was time to make camp.

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to hunt grouse here in Maine and have been priveleged to hunt with two English Setters. Bess was my first and she was my partner for some thirteen years. She hated reenactors, but would shake with excitement whenever I pulled out my club butt or double barreled Gilgun. My first day out, my friends were making fun of my flinter. Bess pointed a bird, up it went, BANG, down it came. Bess headed off and fetched it up and brought it to my hand. I was showing the young bird off when Bess came back with the second bird that I got with that one shot. If it wern't for old Bess I never would have known I got that second bird. In the subsequent years Bess would find many a bird I would have lost. Tessie has been my new partner for the last three seasons and has been an even better grouse dog. Tess will not wear her 18th century collar though. My only probem is that in the 18th century my persona would not have been out hunting grouse and certainly not with such fine dogs. Dogs are my favorite people! Pictures to come. Paul

Last edited by Paul C. Daiute on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story Paul.

Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red squirrel, Thank you for your kind remark, new chapters are written everyday. Tess went on point the day after my last post and up went four grouse. I was left with an open mouth and a shouldered club butt on half cock. Good thing those birds don't have guns or I'd be hanging from a tree somewhere. Good hunting to all. Paul
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my dream hunts would be taking a few good dogs and hunting for black bear like Meshach Browning did. But hunting bear with dogs these days, may be considered "uncivilized".
;) :)
I plan on hunting coyotes this winter and spring in kit. Wanting to boost the deer population.

Traildog
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya can still hunt bear with dogs in WI. A good frind lost a good dog hunting yodys this year. The dog whent through the ice on the river.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Dog's Reply with quote

I love hunting with Dogs, be it rabbits and pheasants around home, or when I hunted wild boar in tennessee. I've had Dogs my whole life and I'll have one till I'm dead.

Dogs have been my best friends.

I never tried hunting squirrels with a Dog but would sure like to.

red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never tried hunting squirrels with a Dog but would sure like to.

Once as a youth I hunted rabbits with my brothers beagle. I didnt see any, but shot 3 squirrels. That dog would bark up any tree with a squirrel in it, and I would wait for it to come around on my side to shoot it.

It was almost like I ordered rabbit, but the dog ordered squirrel.

;) :)

EricMoore
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hunting with dogs. Everytime I shoot a bird the dog will be the one to get it where it fall and bring it to me afterwards.

jackley
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: dogs Reply with quote

I hunt birds behind my drathaar from Sept. 1st. until the end of March. Blue Grouse in the mountains, Sage Grouse,pheasant,Huns and Sharptail in the prairies, Chukkar in the foot hills. Nothing better then hunting behind a good pointing dog. Hunt alot in my kit. Use a fusil or a original double bbl. percussion. Got doubles this year with it on pheasants, sharptail and huns.
Jerry
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a dvd by Outdoor Our Way called Squirrel Hunting with Original Mountain Curs. It's an excellent dvd. They use 22 rimfires but besides that it's worth the money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com