This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Hardtack - a recipe - my experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WolfBrother
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Hardtack - a recipe - my experiences Reply with quote

HARDTACK

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
6 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup water

Dry mix the ingredients.
Add the water and knead the dough. Dough should not be sticky.
Roll out to an even thickness. I use a shallow sided cookie pan. The shallow sides control the thickness
Cut to shape. Poke three rows of holds with a fork.
Place in the oven for about 1/2 hour or until just golden.

Makes 10-12 biscuits.

============================================

To cook them really thoroughly, set them aside for a day, then cook them at 225 degrees for 30-45 more minutes. The second baking will remove any “sweat” and really dry the biscuit. This is important.

============================================

I took my original recipe from a civil war reenacting webpage (it's not there anymore) and experimented. The above recipe is what I wound up with.

I made a double batch.

Put them in 1 gallon ziplock baggies and put the baggies on the guest Bedroom closet shelf.

All food trials included a bowl of hot chicken boullion for dipping/soaking

1 week later - tried one - I'd hate to have to live on them.
2 weeks - same
1 month
6 months
1 year
18 month
2 years
2 1/2 years
3, 4, 5, 7 & 8 year - same

Gave one to a friends step-son (Ben) - a Civil War reenactor
Gave what was left to Ben - they were a hit at the reenaction.

Have made a batch or two since then with the same results.

This article/information is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com