This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Scabbard For An American Hanger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LRB
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Scabbard For An American Hanger Reply with quote

Iron mounted scabbard for a 24" bladed hanger. Copied/inspired from an original 18th c. scabbard which I assume to have been English. Throat and drag was made from 22 ga. sheet steel. Locket/frog button was filed from 1/8" steel, and brazed to the throat and post. A 20D nail was used to make the post. The drag/chape was hammer shaped over a form in two pieces, then brazed together. The leather is 7/8oz vege-tan, with a center seam sewn with linen thread. Lightly dyed with Fiebings British tan sprits dye, and oiled. Both mounts were lightly aged to match the sword, and glued to the leather. Hope you enjoy a look.

Muskeg Stomper
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work! I have to make a scabbard for a hanger that I obtained recently. If only I was as talented as you are! Mine is going to look quite ametuerish I'm afraid but I'll never learn until I jump into it.
Don Abbott
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks amazing.

I've always enjoyed seeing your knives, but your scabbard & sheath work have really inspired me. You've got that center seam down to a science, but its the hardware that sets it off.

Great job.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com