This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
How to shoot a flintlock.... an interesting video.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: How to shoot a flintlock.... an interesting video. Reply with quote

A friend of mine sent me this YouTube link. Can you count how many safety mistakes this guy is making? I counted at least two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKp9vr0x-m8
Medicine Soldier
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: interesting video Reply with quote

right of the bat I can count two safety mistakes....

1. Letting this guy put a video online that people will see and carry on the and share the same bad habits.

2. Allowing people to comment on the video on youtube when they appear to have even less knowledge on the subject.

Just my two cents worth....and quite possibly worth every penny.

Medicine Soldier
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which ones you guys seen but heres some of my observations and if your going to youtube yourself, please do things correctly and safely!

Hand was over muzzle several times
Not sure if he is wearing hearing protection. He was not wearing eye protection (I know that some don't but when making a video it might be a good idea)
Horn is left unplugged everytime! Yikes!
Loaded directly from the horn!
Was not facing down range to see if anything has change to prevent him from safely discharging the firearm.
Lastly what was he shooting at, looked like just sending lead fly down range.
Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are mighty picky... I didn't see anything I thought was unsafe. I missed the loading directly from horn...Perhaps a better understanding of patch function would be an improvement but overall a good demo....

I watched it again... the load direct from horn was the only unsafe thing I saw.... was it ever done way back when...? Probably. He should have emphasized it's danger.

Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

"I'm gonna take up teepee livin' if it's like this. "

-Lone Watie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Where can I get an outfit and flintlock like in the video?
X

This Public Service Message has been brought to you Boobtube.

Medicine Soldier
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd,

He left the horn unplugged only once.....well technically only once since after he took it out the first time he only put it back in after all three shots. So in a 5 minute video he had a the horn unplugged for probably 4 minutes if not longer while shooting three times. I'm guessing that there are a large number of folks who would never shoot next to someone at the range doing that.....that is if they weren't booted off the range first.

After watching the video and seeing the plug thing I didn't pay much attention to other problems and then got sidetracked looking at the other flintlock videos listed as well as the comments left regarding this video. Those were kind of scary too.........especially the praise given by those saying they were flintlock shooters...one for something like 30 years.

Am I being too picky....could be. But working as a Training Captain on a Fire Department I have seen too many people pick up unsafe habits and they often become a bad example for others. I'm pretty sure that we have all violated a lot of these safety concerns at one time or another and unfortunatley may do so again in the future but that doesn't mean we should show them off in a video for those who know no better. They may be the one shooting next to you someday.

Medicine Soldier
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I am picky, but horns have blown up from a stray spark. I have been blown up once and that was by terrorists, I sure don't want it to happen again especially by someone else on the range.

My point was when fliming a instructional video, safe range habits might be a good idea. You want to show the history and love of the sport while promoting the safety involved in shooting.

Maybe he was alone and not a soul insight for miles, but I was taught never to just let lead fly willynilly, you should have a target and a backstop. Once the bullet is fired there is no calling it back.

I have seen guys rest their chins on the muzzle of their fusils. I gently correct them. Hell, I have done some things unsafe and would expect someone to gently correct me.
Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMbxZ1k9NQ&NR=1

Brown Bess, 3 shots in 46 seconds. Not too shabby at all. The slight hangfire at the end almost gets him though.

My best time was 3 in 59 sec. using a .62 NW Gun.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

Soldiers, soldiers, soldiers!

With a self-priming lock, and no ramming, a frontiersman could cut that time in at least half...
;-) :-) :-) :-)

Michael Archer

captchee
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never saw the loading right from the horn . it looks like it u guess but if you watch he is dumping into a measure first .

as to putting his hands over the muzzle ?? LOL thats pretty hard not to do whan starting a ball lol

saw him using a loading block . also seem pretty light loads . his ignition was good so maybe that will help debunk many of the misconceptions about flintlocks .

I also donít see anything wrong with his cloths . Refreshing to see someone who at least hasnít jump on the walnut brigade band wagon yet
LOL
Medicine Soldier
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 minutes 8 seconds into the video he begins loading for his 3rd shot .....by putting down a charge directly into the barrel from his horn.

I gotta go along with Lloyd on this one......if your going to do a video, especially if your trying to educate folks, you should probably do it in a safe manner.

Medicine Soldier
captchee
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh ya missed that one , guess thats what i get for watching two windows at once
captchee
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario wrote:
Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMbxZ1k9NQ&NR=1

Brown Bess, 3 shots in 46 seconds. Not too shabby at all. The slight hangfire at the end almost gets him though.

My best time was 3 in 59 sec. using a .62 NW Gun.

Mario

ok now ahst wrong with this one ?!
talking about bad habits .
fellas never , i repeat NEVER prime your pan and then dump powder .
I understand why this fella is doing this , using the paper cartridge and all .
HOWEVER .
after 20 + years of shooting flintlocks , i can tell you they can go off even without powder in the pan.
to prime and then ram a ball home is not a smart thing to do .

It maybe acceptable for re-enacting with blank loads but donít do it with a live load.
None of us are British regulars and this isnít the 18 century
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime and load was the way to do it as a soldier. I understand your concern but that's how it was done.
Steve Stanley
User

Location: Somewhere between 21st century England & 18th century Acadia...........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with cartridge,it's about the only way to do it.........Come to think of it,it's also standard with 17thcent bandolier drill.....
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com