This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Lake George Tactical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Boats and Boat Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kmolett
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Lake George Tactical Reply with quote

Hello!

Over the years I have been reading reportson the Lake George Tactical that takes place in the fall. I am not sure that it has taken place the last few years or so as I have not seen anything posted. Anyways me and my friends want to get the gear together to attend one of the events. Even if it means a bunch of guys from Utah paddle about on Lake George by ourselves for a week.
I want to build a sailboat. I would like it to be able to be sailed by 2 people and be able to carry say 4 more adults. I want to make it as period correct as I can, but I do need to make it affordable. If this needs I have to use marine plywood instead of solid wood or something like that I can do that. I just want it to be as close to original as possible while allowing me to enjoy the boat and not spend all my time maintaining it.
I have looked with great lust at the Hornet seen here. http://www.spiritof76.net/2003/

I would love to build a boat like that. Or maybe a dory or a whaler or something. If anyone has any info or ideas let me know. I think that our group might try and attend the event in a year or 2 with canoes and in the meantime be working on a sailboat we could possibly have outfitted to go in 2-3 years.

Kevin
Snapper
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - The tactical is still alive and well. While I can't (and won't) speak for the English side, it's always been my understanding that it is an "invitation only" event; at least from the standpoint of the French.

I hope that helps. Good luck in making your sailboat and having a great time on the water with it regardless of where you end up.

Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper
Kmolett
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Sailboat Reply with quote

Snapper,

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on crashing the party, I would definately open negotiations with the French and the British to see if we could come and participate.

I believe I talked to Damion at one point, but do not now have his email. I believe he was the head of the French forces at one time? I would love to get some more detailed pics of the hornet to give me some ideas on where to go with a sailboat.

Thanks,

Kevin
Snapper
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few years the French commander has changed a bit. When I was first introduced to the event my milice unit served under Louis Valliquette. Due to work and other reasons Louis wasn't able to attend last year and I never did find out who are "real" commanding officer was supposed to be. Because of that I can't even suggest anyone in particular for you to contact on the French side; although Louis may still be the best person to contact.

Sorry this isn't much help. Good luck on building your boat and until our paths should cross...Be well.

snapper
Kmolett
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Lake George Tactical Reply with quote

Has this event happened recently? I love liking at all the pictures. It's high up on my bucket list of things to do. If I get myself invited that is of course.
Snapper
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Lake George tactical Reply with quote

Kevin - I know that this past October (2017) none of the folks that I used to attend the tactical with were in attendance at the lake. I haven't been up since 2015 and that year we saw no one other people than our group of Abenkai & French rangers. At this point, many of the Abenaki folks have become involved in Vermont's "Indigenous Peoples" Day celebration; formerly known as Columbus Day. For the past two years we've been part of a ceremony in Brattleboro, VT. Other than that, I have no idea on whether folks are still going or not. Wish I could be of more assistance.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those things I wish I had done when I was young enough to do it. I am afraid that time has passed. It must have been great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Boats and Boat Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com