This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Black rifle from Lofty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squirrel
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Black rifle from Lofty Reply with quote

I just got this Black rifle, .50 cal, from Lofty Thursday morning. In the woods by afternoon! Just had to share with everyone.

Great shooter !

3 shots at 25 yards ! First time I shot it !!!

Thanks again Lofty !!!
Jacques
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW
John Curry
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shootin' Squirrel! Now the way I understand it; the term "black rifle" means a long gun that's been furnished in iron. Doesn't have to be a whole lot of iron - just iron furniture instead of brass.
Squirrel
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all iron mounted. The term Black Rifle, does it have anything to do with military use in say, the French and Indian War? Or just the furniture on the rifle only?
John Curry
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told it just has to do with the type of metal used in the furniture. I read in an old narrative where Lewis Wetzel came into Wheeling carrying his "long, black rifle" and I'm fairly certain he wasn't prone to carrying military guns or muskets... But I imagine that particular term/discription would most likely apply wether the piece was military or civilian, either one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com