This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
A Personal Research Library

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: A Personal Research Library Reply with quote

As a newcomer to the hobby I want to thank Historical Trekking and its readers for their kind and generous guidance in this forum. The message Board is a gold mine of information, and I thank you for your help and guidance.

I'm in the research and development phase of putting together a persona of a common farmer/hunter of the Virginia piedmont, circa 1770. I'm putting together a reference library to study before I start buying and sewing. Thus far I have included:
Recreating the American Longhunter 1740-1790 by Joseph Ruckman
Sketch Book 76 by Robert Klinger
Textiles in America 1650-1870 by Florence Montgomery
Tidings from the 18th Century by Beth Gilgun
I have also discovered the Colonial Willimasburg e-museum.

Are there other books in print that you would recommend as I continue my study?

I am also interested in finding a good shooting bag and accoutrements correct to the 1770 Virginia piedmont. I've seen many Possible Bags offered by various sutlers and merchants of period products, many professedly "authentic" but very few offer any references to research. I'm pretty sure that I don't want something that looks like road kill on a strap, but neither am I in the market for anything resembling my wife's Aigner hand bag. Your guidance in finding a hunting (possibles) bag correct to the persona will be deeply appreciated.

Again, my thanks for your guidance and patience with this newcomer.

Morgan Gardner

[/u][/i]

Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell

Not in print, but should be available through ILL or the used market.

And you are seeking a shot pouch or shot bag. "Possibles bags" didn't exist in the 18th century. Maybe only after 1970...;-)

A good tutorial in making one:

http://ofsortsforprovincials.blogspot.com/2011/03/making-shot-bag-or-pouch-part-1-of-2.html

And a good blog on backcountry VA stuff in general:

http://ofsortsforprovincials.blogspot.com/2011/03/1770s-va-backcountry-kit-background.html

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
GreyWolf
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Journals of Nicholas Cresswell are available online here:

http://rs6.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/lhbtn:@field(DOCID+@lit(lhbtn30436)):
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest making yourself acquainted with google books - and get in the habit of searching the 'free books'. The reason they are free is because the copyrights have expired, placing those works into the public domain.

This allows one to frequently find primary sources, some of them quite extensive, at no charge other than enduring some of google's inevitable data mining and spam.

From there you can pick and choose those you feel are most valuable, and start searching for them in print if you wish to add them to your real (vs virtual) library.

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
depot7254

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good craftsman or sutler can point to their documentation easily , stay away from anyone who can't! Remember what looks cool isn't always rights and usually more $$$. Research, ask, research then purchase or make. Doing so will save you A LOT OF money! A Soldier Like Way is a good book but more British then what you're looking for. Jim Mullen's blog is great ( the one Mario posted).
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions! I found a used copy of The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell cheap on Half.com. and followed up on the site recommendations, which I found very helpful.

I'm looking into Virginia Cloth for a simple open front waggoner's frock, which I can sew myself. William L. Brown's "Thoughts on Shirts in America" and Robert Klinger's "Sketch Book '76" make me confident enough to sew a shirt -- considered underwear in the 18th century, anyway.

But the sleeved waistcoat and trousers are beyond my abilities, so I intend to buy these. Anyone care to recommend a good source for reproduction clothing in larger sizes?

Again, thanks for the help.
Morgan

Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgardner wrote:

I'm looking into Virginia Cloth for a simple open front waggoner's frock,

Wagoner's frock/shirt (aka Barn shirt/frock) was not open fronted.

"You expressed apprehension that the rifle dress of General Morgan may be mistaken hereafter for a waggoner's frock, which he, perhaps, wore when on the expedition with General Braddock; there is no more resemblance between the two dresses, than between a cloak and a coat; the waggoner's frock was intended, as the present cartman's to cover and protect their other clothes, and is merely a long coarse shirt reaching below the knee;

John Trumbull, Personal Letter, circa 1780.

Google "Enraged Farmer" for a period image.

It's just a simple shirt of coarse material (linen, for example) made large enough to cover other clothing.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!
Kind regards,
Morgan Gardner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com