This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Loading blocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Loading blocks Reply with quote

Howdy All, Does anyone have any pics of 18th century loading blocks? Thanks everyone...Eric
Luke MacGillie
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did not exist prior to the 1830's or so. The one block that was featured in an article in either ML or MB as being a 1767 dated piece, when examined closely was, from my understanding, made from not very old wood, stained with circa 1950's wood stain, and then aged in 10W-30.....

Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he ^ said.

And to add, there is no written documentation, nor are there any images depicting such in the 18th century.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Pathfinder Ted
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Seem's like an obviouse accouterment to our modern thinking,but nowhere is it even hinted at in contemerary writng's of the time's.

I used one when hunting once,and have found it more of a PITA than a conveniance. More crap hanging off the strap to get hung up on. I even use a "Day" horn inside the bag when small game hunting.

hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Loading blocks Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone, I was looking for a way to make a quick follow up shot but after posting this I remembered that MAB had some some ideas in his book PJ Vol.II. I appreciate it, Its one less piece of gear gotta mess with since Im trimming down anyway! Anybody doing any good with he turkeys yet? Eric
depot7254

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

season in NY isn't till May, can't wait.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one all the time, and it doesn't have to "hang" from the strap. Mine has an "idiot cord" so I don't lose it like an idiot, but it rides inside my rifle bag, out of sight. It does speed up the reloading process, but since I wait 30 minutes to go find the deer I shot..., it's not a factor.

What I use it for is at living history sites it works great for showing folks the concept of the cloth patch around the bullet, AND..., it also works great for teaching the idea that although it's made from materials available in the 18th century, and with tools available in the 18th century, there isn't any evidence of them, ..., so illustrates that what we think would be a good idea might not necessarily have occurred to folks two centuries ago.

I have several, and got them from Jason. :D

LD

Pathfinder Ted
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too tried them in the pouch and short wang off the strap. Made them from Wormy curly maple and Spalted maple,look's really "cool" and they do work OK,just used to doing it the "old" way. Now that I think of it,I may bust 'em out again,they were beautiful! Had one with 6 .760 ball's in it for my .80 Bess,my "Buddy" liked to lift it to "look" at it and let drop,right on the sternum! Good to have freind's!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com