This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Walnut dye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scratch
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Walnut dye Reply with quote

I am sure this has been here before, but I am in need of a recipe to make walnut dye. I have several pounds of black nuts and have already removed them from the nut, where do I go from there. Thanks Scratch
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Use an iron pot of some sort if you can. The iron acts as a mordant. Boil water with hulls in, and let it steep for a while.
At this point your mixture is done. You can either let it cool, or strain the hulls out when pouring the liquid into another container. I can get 4 or 5 boilings out of the same hulls. I boil them in a (designated for the process) dutch oven I aquired that didnt have a lid, and just dump the contents into a 5 gal bucket that is sitting inside another 5 gal bucket. The first bucket has a crack in the bottom, and allows the liquid to drain into the lower bucket, while catching the hulls. Then I put the hulls back in the dutch oven with fresh water, and make another batch. Some use different methods to strain out the hulls, especially when you have smaller pieces. Use whatever works.

If you dont have an iron pot or something, boil you water and hulls like above, and add steel wool. The rust will take care of your mordant.

Hope this helps.

mvan52
User

Location: idaho,Clearwater county,Gods country,land of the Nez'Perce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: wall nut dye Reply with quote

what do you use to set the dye? Iv'e heard someone say vinegar. Is it correct?
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good question. I dont use anything additional to "set the dye", as the iron in the pot acts as its own mordant.

I suggest you use some sort of pot you can designate to the process. Usually you can pick up some kind of cheap pot from a thrift store or something. If you cant obtain an iron pot, use what you have and throw in some steel wool when cooking the walnuts. The rust-iron will provide the mordant for the dye to "stick".

Have had no problems with the above process.
Hope this helps

billh
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, added the steel wool to mine. Its been 2 weeks and all I had was a purple hew.

red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethings not right. Your clothes should dye even without the iron or steel. It just wont stick.

Explain what you did and used, maybe we can figure this out.

billh
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the offer, just took an extra bit of time for it to darken up. Starting to look good now!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com