This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Fire or Ash Cakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Fire or Ash Cakes Reply with quote

Sonny, I just saw that you didn't get an answer to your question about fire cakes. Needed: 1 lb of stone ground whole wheat flour, tsp of salt, water. Take your flour and mix with salt to your taste then add just enough water to make a thick dough. devide the dough into five or six parts and then take each of the portions into the cup of your hand and mold into a flat cake about a 1/2" thick or so.Place the ash cakes onto a flat rock in the fire or right into a bed of coles. The cake should then be cooked for about 30 minutes or until they turn black. You don't need to add the salt and if you have raisins or dried currants they can be added to the flour and water. I've not found 18th recipes for this but since I carry the rations of Mass Bay colony, I have added sugar, ginger, and or molasses to the dough. I have enjoyed these little cakes while out on snowshoes in the winter. The center of the cakes can be hot an gooey and just seems to hit the spot on a cold day. I'm sorry to give you undocumented information but given the list of food as noted in my above post, I just think that all items would have been used in many ways. I hope this helps you out Sonny, Regards and go safe in the woods, Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com