This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Military flintlocks (locks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT03
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Military flintlocks (locks) Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to get just the locks. Specifically I am looking for a large military flintlock (French, British) appropriate for an American Committe of Safety musket. I am planing on building a short musket for cavalry use built from military parts... Either with the look of a musket that was cut down or made from parts. This is for reenacting and just the fun of building one. If I could find the French barrel bands that would also be fun to try.

Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Jim Chambers - You want a "Queen Anne" lock - "Round-Faced English Flintlock"

http://www.flintlocks.com/locks4.htm
(828) 667-8361 approx $140.oo
Jeff Kirkman
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Francois says about Jim Chambers locks. I've built 2 of his kits, and the English Round Face lock is simply the best, right out of the box.

Another option is ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-1746-French-Flintlock-Lock-Complete-And-Original-/230689383759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b628a54f

Original french lock, looks to be slightly modified. But 500 bucks is a bit more than I would spend.

YOS

Jeff Kirkman
ALRA #109

Johnson's Scouts
CT03
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, I have a chambers lock on my current rifle... should have looked through their website a bit more.

Capt. Jas.
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chambers round face locks are very nice and I use them often but they are quite elegant for a cobbled musket. If you do go with one get the plain one.

I would suggest you take a look at the Davis lock they call their "trade gun" lock.
http://www.redaviscompany.com/0045.html
This lock is big like a musket lock and can date to about 1740.

You can also get a musket lock from The Rifle Shoppe but it will be double the price and
the wait is unknown.
Dan H
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chambers lock is too small for a military musket, I just used a Davis trade lock on a club butt I built, it is MUCH larger and closer to a musket lock, but still not as large as a bess lock from TRS.
If your going to build one look at all the pictures you can, check Track of the Wolf pictures, get e copy of Muskets of the revolution, and a soldier like way, they both have excellent pictures to reference.

Biz
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to find one at Ackermann Arms.
Bill

http://www.ackermannarms.com/default.html
Rich Pierce
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R.E. Davis Early English is similar to locks found on many militia-style colonial made muskets.

http://www.redaviscompany.com/0357.html
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to all that trouble, note that all of the locks mentioned are rather straight in their lock plates. Surplus locks in the colonies, and locks copied from existing military musket locks, would've been (imho) more of the "banana" style lockplate, rather than the straighter, more 2nd Model Bess style in the above locks. So you might consider a 1st Model Bess lock. You might try Loyalist Arms in Canada and see if they have a spare lock from a musket damaged in shipping or in filming a movie. Be forewarned it will be very authentic in that any future replacement parts will need to be fitted by a smith..., no drop in parts. I have found their locks reliable. Otherwise there are lock parts from Track of The Wolf, and The Rifle Shoppe that you could use. Another option would be to buy a first model Bess from Loyalist Arms, Veteran Arms, or MVTC and modify it to your idea. I know you can order a 1st model Bess musket from Loyalist Arms without any lock markings, to make it more like a COS musket.

LD

CT03
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you those are some really good ideas. I am actually lucky enough that one of the guys in my group collects old muskets and has several COS muskets that I can get ideas from... thing is they all have really big locks on them...

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes because the governments ordering them thought at first the British Kings Musket (what we call the Long Land) was the best design out there, so those making COS muskets were expected to match those muskets in appearance. About an hour from me is a site that made COS muskets for Maryland.

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that Track of the Wolf photographs its locks 1:1 scale, so the lock is the same size in the photo in the hardcopy cataloge as it is in real life. So you could order one, and use the image of the 1st model lock to check the size of lock plates. Another option might be to make a larger lock plate and use parts from a lock, similar in size, to complete the larger lock. That way you'd get one that was "right" and also have access to replacement drop in parts in the future.

LD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com