This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Jack Sparrow at Fort de Chartres
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I asked a question.

These were the first 2 responses:

Fitzhugh Williams wrote:
It's like I told one of the staff at Fort Watauga back in May, if you really want a big turnout of visitors, just host an event and call it "Pirates of Scyamore Shoals". The Scheile Museum in Gastonia, NC did that. But in all fairness, they are only 20 miles or so from Lake Norman.

Jeff Kirkman wrote:

Yes, it's pretty far from the ocean, but it's right on the Mississippi river, so don't rule out those "river pirates".

Just having fun, Mario.

Then, folks got all bent out of shape.

Quote:

We don't need permission from the chosen few to have fun over here.

Quote:
Damn! I sure hope this site doesn't end up like the "other" site. I have had enough holier than thou attitudes this year to last me a friggin lifetime.

Granted, this form of communication does not allow for tone in someone's voice, but it's pretty obvious that the last 2 comments were not meant to be funny.

If I had asked where to get Jack Sparrow gear, the same people would have been eager to help, I'm sure. But because I asked a question that goes against the Linen-skinner mantra of "Go forth, do thine own thing and don't let facts get in the way", I am a holier than thou elitist snob.

Jeff Birkey wrote:

If these guys need an ocean to pretend to be pirates I guess we need to tell the Johny Reb units here in the north to disband

Most I know of go South to the actual battlefields.

Jeff Birkey wrote:

or tell the WWII guys the have to go to France to play,

The #1 reason I don't do World War #2, BTW. ;-)

Jeff Birkey wrote:

and I don,t know what to tell the Storm Toppers and Klingons where to go.

Fort De Chartres in June, apparently...

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Jeff Birkey
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed my point and made my point.
Jeff
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion. Maybe, if the folks who host the June event at De Chartres would say something to the effect that it is not an 18th century event, then people would not arrive with false expectations.
Jeff Kirkman
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, I never would have thought that what I replied to Mario would get so out of hand:

[i]Jeff Kirkman wrote:

Yes, it's pretty far from the ocean, but it's right on the Mississippi river, so don't rule out those "river pirates".

Just having fun, Mario. [/i]

The first thing that popped into my weak noggin was "Davie Crockett and the River Pirates", that's what I was having fun about.

Being an ex-Hoosier boy, I know how far away the ocean is, I've been to De Chartres a few times in the past with the TX ALRA - isn't it our group that has an on again/off again challange with the Missouri boys shooting the steel indian heads?

I think everyone needs to understand that the event in June at DeChartres is a rendezvou. If this guy dressed as/like Jack Sparrow is keeping kids having fun so their parents can enjoy themselves, more power to him. Now, if he's informing the public that he's dressed just like the original French habitants, he needs to be hog-tied.
One time, there was a guy at the June event that told us he did WW II re-enacting all the way back to Cave Man, where they sleep in domed dog houses.

If you want to have some real fun, come to the Highland Games in June at Arlington Stadium, outside of Dallas. I saw some dude wearing a modern utilikilt, Dock Martin boots, and a leather tricorn. And it got worse from there.

Mario, I don't care what anyone says, I hold you and your opinion in high regard, when I look at a subject on this list and see you have replied, I always look forward to reading it.

YOS

Jeff Kirkman #109

Johnson's Scouts
2longhunt
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I haven't been able to get back on this site to reply for a while because I made some changes to my account info and got locked out until Jason could give me access back in.

It seems a lot of you have chimed in about my picture request of Capt. Jack Sparrow at the June Fort. Shortly after I asked for a picture, Jim Chestney sent Darrell Duensing, the Fort de Chartres site manager, this picture, which was exactly what I was looking for. Darrell forwarded it on to me.

So, thank you Darrell and Jim. Also, to all those who checked their own pictures of the event and have so kindly added to my original post, thanks for taking the time to look.

Good day,

2LH

Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jacques
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: The Fort at different seasons Reply with quote

For good eighteenth century events, attend Fort de Chartres in the Spring and Fall. The June event is just good dumb fun, not meant to be anything else. If you can approach it in that fashion, you will have a good time. If that is not your thing, skip it.
Gonzales
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy this thread went to shite fast.

Guess that isn't Kenny the Blacksmith after all.
D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that does not know the "climate" of Ft. DeChartres June event after 41 years isn't likely to "get it" from any announcements. LoL

This Jack Sparrow was a good portrayal and had his act down very well. I'm glad you got your photo 2longhunt. I was told he will be at the St. Louis Pyrate Fest in September as well.
Jacques
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Good point! Reply with quote

Good point--but of course not everyone has been going to the Fort's June affair all that long. I thought it might be worthwhile pointing it out for the benefit of anyone new or contemplating coming for the first time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com