This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
What paint/makeup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lookinnorth
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: What paint/makeup? Reply with quote

Aanii,, new here so I hope I'm not asking something that already has been mentioned.

Just wondering what everyone uses , brands types, shades of colours for face/body paint when dressing for battle? Red and blacks of course but is the face paint from a costume shop the spot to get it from?

Miigwech for any help,

baamaapii
Grey Bear
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: body paint Reply with quote

Don't laugh, but when I am out of ochre, I mix a small amount of brick red cement color (comes in quarts from big box stores like Lowe's) with bear oil or mineral oil for the face and body as a red base.

I prefer to use red, yellow or black ochre powder for face paints, and mix these with oil to apply. I keep a prepared supply in clam shells at the reenactments. When they dry out, I just add more oil.

lookinnorth
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, when you mention powdered ochre do you mean something like powdwered vermillion that places like Iroqrafts carry?

http://www.iroqrafts.com/suppliesR/page9.htm

(bottom of the page)

Brick red cement colour, I'm guessing that's a colour tint for colouring cement or mortar?

Probably trial and error to see how much oil to powder to see how much a person needs? How is it for cleaning up?

Again, any help/tips is greatly appeciated,

Chi Miigwech
longhunter49
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Unless they have changed, the red from Irequafts is a bright, bright red.

" This situation calls for a subtle mix of psychology and extreme violence.."
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Grey Bear
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: ochre Reply with quote

I get the various colored ochres at pottery/glaze suppliers. They mix well with oil and very inexpensive.

The brick cement color is a duller red than vermillion, and looks more like the blood of the earth. When you mix it with grease or oil, go easy on it because the more you use the deeper the red. You might also wish to use plastic gloves- the cheap ones used in the food service industry. The only hard part of the entire painting up process is finding someone to do the middle of your back. I paint up often when in the woods in the summer because it seems to repel insects and makes for interesting conversations when you run into someone out for a woodland stroll.

Turning Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Red Ochre and Charcoal Reply with quote

I use red ochre and charcoal with bear grease. I get the charcoal from the camp fire and grind it up with rocks, so I don't have to carry it around. I have found that when I'm in the field, sweating, the stage makeup makes my eyes burn..but the natural real stuff they used like charcoal and red ochre doesn't bother me at all
white savage
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the paint powder from "Turkeyfoot Trading" And mix it with water. Works O.K. for 3 day events But if its longer i would go with greese

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/Catalog.html Heres a link (its in the Native part)

-The Half King
josephprivott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would mix it with bear grease since that's what they did. Look at moscow hide and fur for a good deal, just don't eat it.

The imitation vermilion from Blue heron is very pink, and unlike the mercuric sulphide of the past.

Many concrete colorants ARE ochre, but make sure.
lee a

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen and used the Dark red chalk line chalk.
with it mix with Ponds cold cream.
stickbow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red and yellow ochres are iron oxides (FeO2). They are used as makeup ("Bare Minerals" brand, for example) and as colorant for concrete, roofing, and in paints.

"Vermillion" was mercuric oxide in the day. Now it is various other makeup grade powdered pigments. The stuff I have from Blue Heron is about 5 years old, and matches exactly the tube of mercuric oxide/cinnabar bearing oil paint I have from before it was banned. I don't know if he has the same sources now that he did then.

You can use the stuff for concrete coloring just as well as others. Just remember that they aren't tested for purity like makeup grade pigments, so you could get some odd trace elements that could cause skin irritation.

I use what's left of a 50# bag of Virginia red, parts of some Tuscaloosa red hematic ochre from AL, etc. None is 'makeup grade', and I've never had any problems.

The black I use is ground and filtered/seived hardwood charcoal. Rinse it first if you get it out of the fire - you need to get the white ash off (it's caustic). The white ash is solvent in water, the charcoal isn't. Grind it (outside) until a fine powder.

I either mix with bear oil or put it on dry.

Cleaning up...hmm. Still working on that.

I use makeup remover wipes now. I used to just use soap and water, but you can't always get to a sink, and if you do and trash it, someone has to clean it -- why make it the park staff that were nice enough to share their site with you? I tried cold cream; it helps, but plain old soap and warm water work best if you used bear oil (or any other oil).

Costumer makeup probably comes off easier, I don't mess with it 'cept at Howloween.
lee a

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn dish soap works wonders., I have used dawn after evry event and paints come off quick and easy.
Jeremy Ray
User

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas Dirt Powder

Belleville
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would mix it with bear grease since that's what they did. Look at moscow hide and fur for...

Quote:
I'm sorry, we don't have bear grease and we don't know of another source to recommend.

Sorry we couldn't help ...

www.hideandfur.com

Other sources?
Mario
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belleville wrote:

Other sources?

I bought my last batch from a guy at Fort Ti for $1/oz.

These folks are pretty pricey:

http://www.naturallist.com/bearfat.htm

You can contact taxidermy shops in your area and offer to take the fat from hides and render it yourself.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Mario
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one:

BEAR FAT: Rendered. Not for human consumption.
8 oz bottle $ 5.50 ea 2-4 $ 5.00 ea 5+ $ 4.50 ea
16 oz bottle $ 8.95 ea 2-4 $ 7.95 ea 5+ $ 7.50 ea
32 oz bottle $14.95 ea 2-4 $12.95 ea 5+ $11.95 ea

http://www.eidnesfurs.com/catalog2011.pdf

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com