This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Archers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Archers? Reply with quote

I don't use a self-bow, but I am firmly attached to my Bear Grizzly recurves. I have had several over the years and currently shoot a 1973 vintage Super Grizzly, 55#@28". Just bought my son a newer-used one in camo and 50#@28". Make our own arrows from parts here at home and our qivers and stuff too. The kids all have their own recurves, so does "Mom."

Anyone been out yet? I have been three times, seen deer all except yesterday (after I bailed hay there all day). Almost got off a shot at a pair of young toms, but they saw me move to draw and it was all over.

I saw a bobcat cross in front of me on the way in just at sunrise the second time out .

No shots, blood-trails or meat yet.
Woodland Roamer
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making and using self bows for several years now but have not taken a deer yet. I have only been a couple times so far this year. I saw a doe last time out but she didn't come in range. Good luck to you.

Alan
okie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you wouldn't want to make a bow to sell would you? I have failed on my last few attempts, guess i am gonna stick to makin knives....
Woodland Roamer
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey okie, I stay pretty busy but I could possibly make you one depending on what you're looking for. Send me a pm if you'd like.

Alan
TiminIndiana
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on my fist self bow. It's a selfbowish stick at this point that by the time I'm done getting the tiller right will probably have enough power to lightly bruise a cottontail rabbit at 3 yards but it's good enough for a first round try. I made it with 1x2 red oak from Lowe's and backed it with linen.
Don Abbott
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bow making, arrow making, and shooting fool back in the early to mid 90's. I got interested in flintlocks and then blacksmithing and most of my shooting buddies went different directions as well.

Like a lot of other things, I've not quit; I just haven't had time in several years.

I was standing in my shop trying to get warm the other day, and I looked up to find several osage and hickory staves staring back at me. So I'm sure I still have the urge to be making and shooting bows... I'll just have to put it on my "to do" list - along with 1000 other things.
sharps4590
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Don....my bows have been hanging for about 8 months now and the muzzleloaders aren't getting much use either. But, last summer the bamboo fly rods and silk fly lines got a whale of a work out!!! Squirrel season opens come Memorial Day and maybe one of the recurves or longbow will have to come out in late summer.

Vic

jimd46902
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make old style wood bows also and shoot flintlocks and flyfish with bamboo and ...well you know! I am thinking maybe we can come up with flyfishing for squirrels or something like that!
NWTF Longhunter
User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I carry both my flintlock and my bow.

I put an arrow low through the innards of this turkey and finished him with my fowler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com