This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
smoothbore shooting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Black
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I load my fowler, not historically correct but it works for me. FFG, a thin card wad over the powder with a pin hole in it. This lets the air escape more easliy as the wad is pushed down bore. Like Swanny I tried the thick cushion wad and found it to blow holes in my pattern so I quit using it. In its place I use 2 tight fitting greased felt wads. Then my shot followed by another of the thin card wads with a hole in it. The tip of my wiping stick has an end that is very near the diameter of the bore. Using something smaller the wadding would often tip and screw up the loading process. I've always used FFFFG in the pan simply because for turkeys I'll take all the speed I can get. I've never used leaves and the like-not that there is anything wrong with it- just never been able to see how one could achieve any load consistancy using those things. Just my two cents worth.

Tom Black
Cantucky
Mario
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzales wrote:
Great posts all, especially yours Mario.

Can't take all the credit. I've collected that stuff from various sources (KarlK is one of them!).

Quote:
I observed here a kind of Moss I had never seen before; it grows in great Quantities upon the large Trees, and hangs down 3 or 4 Yards from the Boughs; it gives a noble, ancient and hoary Look to the Woods; it is of a whitish green Colour, but when dried, is black like Horse-hair. This the Indians use for wadding their Guns, and making their Couches soft under the Skins of Beasts, which serve them for beds. They use it also for Tinder, striking Fire by flashing the Pans of their Guns into a handful of it, and for all other Uses where old Linnen would be necessary.

Moore, Francis. A Voyage to Georgia, Begun in the Year 1735. London: Jacob Robinson, 1744.

This one makes me want to go down to Georgia to try it...

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
seesbirds
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

it sounds like Spanish Moss and I have it all over my place down here. Next time we shoot I'll try it and report back.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
trg
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

". The use of the patch among smoothbores, it just isn't seen as nearly as the term wadding."

This suggests that there is some mention of patches with smoothbores, is this correct?
markinmi
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only patch my bess with the paper wrapped around the ball in a cartridge,90 gr.2F and it is dead on if I do my part.Ive tried wadding the ball and cloth patching it but havnt had great success.I know I slipped a 69 ball in it and handed it to my buddy to shoot his tie breaker and he drilled it plumb center.
I'm gonna have to bench it with wads,I'd rather do that than roll cartridges all the time.
How well are you guys shooting with just blanket wadding?
shorthunter
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use either Tow or Bald Face Hornets Nest in my Fusil D. I personally like the results I get when using the hornet nest material. My area has a boat load of old nests so this is a plus for me too. Just make sure to collet them after the first good frost.

JohnN
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has ever used heavy (21 oz) wool for wadding. Read an article about it in one of the 2 magazines and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com