This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Horn Help??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Horn Help?? Reply with quote

I know you folks can answer this one!! My wife just had a friend scrimshaw her powder horn! This was her friends first attempt and they both like it so well, they have decided to leave as is(no ink etc) and it's not sealed yet!

My question to the you all is what should this be coated/protected with i.e Krylon etc.? Otherwise it won't look like this for very long? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I may post this under crafts and stuff, if it allows pics!!!

http://gallery.me.com/ridersofthesage#100901

The above link to photo

seesbirds
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: horn help Reply with quote

It looks like the artist took a horn that had been dyed and scratched away the dye to create the image. That's clever but I don't know how durable it will prove to be. How deep are the scratches?

You could try a couple of coats of paste wax but my guess is that over time the images are going to get "inked" with dirt regardless of what you do, short of shellacking the horn or painting it with spar varnish or something similar and that is going to change the horns color and may affect it in other ways.

I'd be interested in seeing what you do to it. so please post before and after photos.

regards,

mark

www.shinintimespowderhorns.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Condé
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear coat it with spray lacquer. Build a stand for it and put it on top of the mantle. Then get a 'using' horn and leave that one in the house.

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bride has decided on inking, then doing a coat of paste wax. Let's hope she is happy with the end result.

Thanks for the great suggestions!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com