This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Pea Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Pea Soup Reply with quote

Greetings to all

I posted this on the FrontierFolk/Nouvelle France board, but then that forum was struck by the scouge of a virus before I could check responses. So, I'll open the topic here.

I had heard that pea soup was a common food for the early voyageurs, and I thought I might try some. I found Habitant French-Canadian Pea Soup for sale online, bought some, and discovered that I like it a lot. The canned stuff is expensive, though, especially when you factor in the shipping. I'd like to make some for myself.

The ingredients on the side of the can are pretty basic; water, dried yellow peas, lard, salt, dehydrated onions, and "spice extract." I found several recipes online, but I was wondering if some of the folks here might have any "secrets" to share for making pea soup as the people of New France would have done.

Several of the recipes online list savory as an essential herb for the pot, and most of them recommend hamhock rather than straight lard. One said to use whole yellow peas, while the others did not specify whole or split peas.

I don't want to complicate this project unnecessarily, but thought it might be fun to discuss. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Merci!

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com