This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Trekking in Pennsylvania

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ancient one

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Trekking in Pennsylvania Reply with quote

I am new to the trekking scene and am wondering if there are problems and pitfalls that I should be aware of here in Pa. Such as state laws concerning firearms, over night camping, camp fires, wearing of Blaze Orange. In other words, what can I do, and what can I not do, and where can I do it and still stay out of the county "hotel". I am an avid hunter so I believe that a valid hunting license must be possessed while out and about but what else should I be concerned with. I am grateful for any and all input that you may provide. Thank you. Vern

ps I am a very, very new guy to this forum and this is my first post. I hope that I'm starting out on the right foot.
longwalker
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: trekking in Pa. Reply with quote

Well sir, being an old fart meself, maybe I can help, here. Now, I'm in Arkansas, but have trekked and hunted in Mo. Kansas, Oklahoma, and Illinois, and this is what I've found: First, where do you intend to go "in the dirt"? That is the biggie, for the most part. If on private property, a thorough check on the hunting-fishing laws is in order. If on ANY other land than private, a thorough check of Pa"s. wildlife departments, and the rules for the area you intend to go. Many times, the same rules ( firearms, camping, fires, etc.) will be the same , but don't count on that. And, don't forget the time of year, either, many public use areas have rules that change with the seasons, as well, so you cannot really have too much information. It's better to be overly informed, and have proper permits, if needed, than spending time in the hoosgow. Hope this helps some.

bushytail
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyotes are in 24/7.So,if your asked about what your doing with the fire arm from the Game Commision,Park Ranger,Forest Ranger?You can tell them,in case I see a yote.And maybe depending on the response,tell them ,I`m also protecting myself from an indian attack.State Parks do have some differant rules you should check into if you want to go in those areas.
longwalker
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: trekking in PA. Reply with quote

True, and if you are carefull in your shot placement, they make a swell hide. Too bad you're not here in Arkansas, we have a huge problem with feral, and wild pigs. After a generation, or two, these rascals begin to revert to their origins, and are very dangerous game. The fish and game here has stated in our hunting rules, they may be taken any time, with any means, and don't have to be usec. they can be left lie where shot. HOWEVER, they are some durn fine eating, and I know of no fool who takes them and lets them lie. No sir!

gus13
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually a buddy was telling me the other day them pigs are starting to move up to Pa as wel! dunno how true it is but yep, from what he told me you can just about shoot 'em whenever and let 'em lie if you want.
ancient one

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I thank you all for your input. Vern
rbaker1757
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was previously said, it depends on where you're planning on doing this. Since you're a hunter you already know that you can't camp overnight in state gamelands. Also there are stipulations on open fires also. No need to come up with an excuse to the local WCO for why you're carrying a flinter if you've done your homework. Most of them that I've run into think the whole thing was pretty cool and want to BS with you for a while. Blaze orange requirements are only necessary if you are truly hunting. That's not to say however that it's not smart to wear some even if you aren't hunting. State Forests are completely different. You can pretty much camp anywhere. Fires are no problem and firearms are permitted. State Parks are different. As far as I still know you are not permitted to take your firelock into a State Park to camp. They recently passed a new law regarding concealed carry but that doesn't pertain here. Your best bet is private land and State Forests. Fortunately PA is blessed with quite a few State Forests and some very nice wild areas for us to play in. Check out the DCNR website for places near you.

Rich
rbaker1757
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was previously said, it depends on where you're planning on doing this. Since you're a hunter you already know that you can't camp overnight in state gamelands. Also there are stipulations on open fires also. No need to come up with an excuse to the local WCO for why you're carrying a flinter if you've done your homework. Most of them that I've run into think the whole thing was pretty cool and want to BS with you for a while. Blaze orange requirements are only necessary if you are truly hunting. That's not to say however that it's not smart to wear some even if you aren't hunting. State Forests are completely different. You can pretty much camp anywhere. Fires are no problem and firearms are permitted. State Parks are different. As far as I still know you are not permitted to take your firelock into a State Park to camp. They recently passed a new law regarding concealed carry but that doesn't pertain here. Your best bet is private land and State Forests. Fortunately PA is blessed with quite a few State Forests and some very nice wild areas for us to play in. Check out the DCNR website for places near you.

Rich
bushytail
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as hunting hogs,they`re suppose to be in the SW and NE of PA.Mostly SW though."close to Pittsburg,Maryland border".No f-orange is required for coyote hunting.But if your trekking during small game or big game season,especially on game lands,it would be a good idea to put a orange band around your hat or neck just for safety.
rbaker1757
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before hunting hogs check the Game Commission website. They've changed the laws a bit and some counties have different regs than others. Last time I checked the hogs were mostly around the Bedford area but I'm sure there's many more areas with this problem.

Rich
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
iron maiden
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the others...wild pig is definitely good eating.

As for wearing orange, I have a 1750's styled wool orange/navy blue reversible weskit I hunt with. It isn't blaze orange per se, but a close orange which I'm told is period correct. I got it from Ohio Valley Peddler, and am quite happy with it.
zackarysittingfox stevens
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greetins all...
vern - what part of thee commonwealth were ye lookin ta meander through?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com