This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Suggestions Welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

This is planning a long way in advance, but I will be going to one of our local schools and working with a first grade class to plant a garden early next spring.

I need to come up with some things that I can plant with the kids in a traditional garden that will grow and mature fairly quickly so the kids can enjoy the fruits of thier labor before the school year ends.

Any suggestion that you have would be appreciated.

Morgan

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case you need to start the stuff indoors first. School just ended here last week, and the squash and zuccini (ok well zukes aren't that traditional) had come in, as did the bush type string beans. I got a jump on the year by starting the stuff in a hotbox. Well, actually all I did was get some of those peat type starter cups, the kind that are about the size of a styrofoam coffee cup. I used starter mixture and planted a seed in each. Watered them, and placed them inside clear plastic storage bins. If you place the bin upside down on the ground, you can place the starter cups on the lid, and the clear plastic bin goes over the starter cups and rests on the lid. It seals pretty well, and acts as a greenhouse. (You may want to put a brick on top of them if there is to be some wind). This keeps the moisture in, and the sun heats them up. Check them once in a while for more water. You're a bit farther south than me so you could probably get the plants in the ground by May 1st, and have some squash and string beans by the first week in June, maybe sooner. The bins rinse up and when dry get stacked and stored until next year.

LD

Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beans and squash are both pretty quick and prolific, but greens are the fastest. Possibly consider some herbs as well- you can use them for a variety of things, food, medicinal, dyes, and that way you can demonstrate their use and preparation as an end project.
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Dont forget flax seed.... Reply with quote

I think that turnips planted from seed can sprout very quickly and be harvested early as greens..teach a lesson about survival decisions--you have to leave some of the greens in place to get little turnips later..turnips are very 18th. century...entire communities including their livestock lived on them.....they are very nutritious..turnip soup for everybody! .Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com