This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Crawdad Traps and Coarse Fishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSzychulda
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Crawdad Traps and Coarse Fishing Reply with quote

With my upcoming water treks and my new pirogue, I decided that I needed a more period looking crawdad trap. We have a lot of crawdads in our local rivers and lakes, and I want to take advantage of that tasty resource. I could find very little on traps, most being modern metal or plastic traps; of which I have several.

I decided to copy an old Nantucket Lobster trap. It is made from ripped pine planks and green willow bent to make the frame. It was unpractical to use enough planks to prevent the crawdads from escaping, as they are not as large as lobsters. I decided to cover the trap with some tarred netting. The door is a friction fit and holds tight. I attached the netting to the door to act as a hinge and hold it in place while unloading the trap. The entry doors are made from green oak bent into a hoop and the netting made into a cone for the crawdads to climb up to their doom. The entire trap was soaked in pine tar to preserve the wood and netting.

I will use rocks along the shore line to sink the trap and a buoyant piece of drift wood as a float, or tie it to a tree. I put 30 ft of tarred rope on the trap to attach to the float.

I also started putting a coarse fishing kit back together. I forged a number of different sized hooks up and quenched them in an oil bath. I made some leaders from silk thread, dyed green and brown to better hide in the water. I have some very fine linen line soaking in a grass/weed/old coffee dye bath to color it a nice brown green. I will either wax or tar it up to preserve the line. I was cedar lining a chest the other day (darn moths) and decided to make some hand windes from the scraps. They are linseed soaked and drying in the sun. I also cut a bundle of cane which is drying, to use as bank poles.

I did forge up some fine long shank hooks to try some period fly tying. I will cheat a bit and use my fly vise and bobbins, but look forward to trying some gentleman fishing too. If it doesn’t work I will not hesitate to go back to bait!

Matt
Gonzales
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Thanks for posting.
MSzychulda
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gonzales.

I finished up the coarse fishing kits today. I dyed some Irish Linen in a grass/vinegar dye. It came out a nice moss green color. I waxed it up and attached a the leader and hook. I used loops for all the attachements to make it easy to attach new leaders, clean and dry the line, and wind it onto different spools.

I put my home made hooks on a piece of scrap paper. I made it so it folds over the hooks, protecting them and my fingers!

I am going to turn some casting spools next. I just have to wait till it gets below 100 degrees to work in the shop.

Matt
deboraharangel
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing enthusiasts simply cannot get enough of their boats. They not only enjoy the fishing experience, but feel a distinct relationship with their fishing boats and fishing gear. If you are one who enjoys in sailing the high seas for the big game, you must know how valuable fishing boat wilderness program is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com