This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Traditional Deer Hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CherokeeScot
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Traditional Deer Hunting Reply with quote

I've been researching for close to three years now and plan to go hunting for the first time this fall. I'm hunting Deer and have the theoretical knowledge to, track (to some degree), shoot, dress, skin, remove sinew, butcher, brain tan, and utilize the majority of the Deer. I'd love to know more before I actually go out, however.
How does one preserve the stomach, as the Cherokee did, to use as a container?
Is there a way to preserve and use the esophagus?
What is the safest way to clean intestines for making sausage?
Can the bladder be used in a similar way as the stomach?
Are there any uses for the remaining organs not usually eaten, ie lungs etc?
I'm trying to have as little waste as possible, I've even found uses for the urine and scat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
J. Cooper

Harrod
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heart and liver are good fried. Don't know about the other stuff.
CherokeeScot
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harrod! I'll keep that in mind if I get lucky this year.

jimd46902
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use all of the above but the problem is... how authentic do you want to be? The Natives rinsed the bladder and filled it with water... you cannot let it dry out or it will get hard. The intestines were emptied, turned inside out and rinsed, then re-filled...once again you cannot let it dry out. The somach is the same... you empty it, rinse it, and refill it... never let it dry out or all of the above will be like shrunk up little rocks... or moldy if it is humid. They used these things right away and bacteria had no meaning to them.
bushytail
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The urine and poop can be used for deer scent."Mock scraps" are easy to make to get the deer to stop for a good shot.Pour some urine on a drag rag when you walk through the woods to near your spot,hang on a branch,and hunt near it.Deer will sometimes follow the scent.Some people will use the tarsel glan on the rear leg for scent lureing.
You could use the gut pile as a lure for other animals that may come to it for food.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com