This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Personas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Personas Reply with quote

Everyone!

This forum is set up to publish your persona and discuss the kit you have and why you selected it. A great way to show off your stuff! In doing this you will help so many others that are wanting to go the next step and develop their kit and persona.

Keep it nice, respect others in what ever level they are at, this is a educational opportunity for all.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: my persona for 1755 Reply with quote

November 1755, trouble times in our colony of Penn’s woods. I came to Pennsylvania not 5 years ago. While I was in the Jaeger Kompany in the Duke of Braunschweig’s service, I was handed an advertisement calling for emigrants to come to Penn’s woods to settle and have land for the taking. Being a son of a Jagdmeister of the Duke of Braunschweig, we did not own land just keep up the Duke’s forests. Catching poachers organizing Royal hunts was my father’s life. Growing up in the forests I had learned the skills to shoot, track and lay ambushes for the poachers. It seemed natural for me to enlist in the Duke’s FeldJager Korps at 17. Rising to the rank of Unteroffizier (Sgt.) I spent a good portion of my life in his service. Seeing wars come and go, campaign, hunts, endless guard duty and drill, along with target shooting, my heart needed an adventure before I got too old. So at 45 years old I mustered out. Taking a schooner to Rotterdam, I joined an emigration ship bound for the Americas. My coin purse was much lighter than I expected after stocking up with food and clothing for the voyage. The Dutch charged outrageous prices for everything, money grubbing buggers.

The voyage was a quick one, just 5 weeks. Thank goodness for that, the old and children had a rough go of it on board the ship. It helped that my life in the forest had kept me fit. The weak ones were buried at sea. On the 5th day of the 5th week we sailed into Philadelphia the capitol and trade center of the Colony of Pennsylvania. After a week of sitting on board to see if any out breaks of disease was in our group of emigrants, we disembarked finally. I remember my first thoughts was “now what are you going to do?”
I wandered about the docks and found lodging. The Duke because of good service had given me a handsome sum and called me a fool for going to this barbaric land. My funds were dwindling but I was still doing well. Food was inexpensive and plentiful. I would take long walks around the country side and hearing my native tongue though out this land helped me from being lost or home sick. While in the country side I was able to do some of my old trade of hunting with my Gewehr, Gretchen. A fine rifle from the Royal Arms of the Duke. The Deer tasted good here. For a couple of years I just wondered about. Market hunter mostly, then an opportunity presented it self.

While selling the deer meat to the merchants in Philadelphia. A tinker I knew was expanding his business. He wanted men to go to the rural areas to sell his wares; some of the folk were so far out that they had to travel a great distance to obtain house ware goods. This merchant was a good man from Hesse-Darmstead. He had come here 10 yrs back and was a success. He gave me a mule and wagon, filled with goods and a map and sent me west to the new county of Berks. The goods I sold was tin ware, buckets, wash basins, eating utensils, woolen cloth, linen cloth and tapes, buttons, farm tools, lead, gun powder and shot. Eye wear, silks, bees’ wax, ready made clothes, stockings, clogs, and some brandy. Brandy sold well. Being a single man and a bit charming, the hausfrau’s look forward to my visits. I was surprised to find so many widows on my rout through the neighborhoods. They always offered this traveling peddler a warm meal and a dry place to sleep. I had a large piece of oil cloth I used as a shelter when I was too far out to find lodging. That along with my rifle made for meat on the spit and a dry shelter. Life is good.

Then the troubles begin. Conrad Weiser, a good man and the chief negotiator of the Colony was buying land and making the natives happy. He did a good job too. As always my old advisories in war were at it again, causing trouble making big promises to the natives, giving them brandy and guns. It started out with Natives allied with the French to hit some of out line areas. My sales of powder, lead and shot went up during those times. The news of British General Braddock’s defeat was devastating. The frontier was in deep trouble. The raids got to be more and more numerous. On my last trip I brought all the powder, lead, shot and swords, blankets I could find in Philadelphia. The English Quakers would not allow for a militia to be formed and funded by the government. The King’s troops were busy up north, we in Pennsylvania was on our own. As I was making my routs, a son of Conrad Weiser, Samuel met me on the road and told me of the huge attacks on the Tulpenhocken and Paxton people. He said his father was mustering a militia at his Farm in Heidelberg Township. When I arrived at the farm, Conrad bought my load of powder out right, and dispersed it to the 300 hundred neighbors that were there. I offered my services and was elected Kapitain of a company of 30 men. With 3 days rations in our rucksacks, I finish this letter to you in haste, we are about to march out on campaign. Yet another campaign for me. Wish us success on this day.

I remain, your most
Humble and obt’ serv’t

David A. Schmid
Heidelberg Township
Colony of Pennsylvania

Sources:

A Journey to Pennsylvania
By Gottleib Mittleberger

Letters of Conrad Weiser
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TiminIndiana
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I just had to say this really helps me get the concept of making a personna. Thank you for posting this.

Tim
Art Vandelay
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They always offered this traveling peddler a warm meal and a dry place to sleep."

Dave...is that all they offered you?
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hum...yeah...
face plant
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for ideas on how to expand my persona of a hunter/traper/trader in the 1750 western Illinois country. any ideas on how to include my fiance and my son who will be here in July?
face plant
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for ideas on how to expand my persona of a hunter/traper/trader in the 1750 western Illinois country. any ideas on how to include my fiance and my son who will be here in July?
Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

face plant,

Step 1: You gotta be French.

red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: personas Reply with quote

Face Plant
Look into the Fort De Charters web site. It has a lot of info and history of this area with time lines. 1763 I believe is when Illinois became british.
Squirrel

DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
bushytail
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s a nice persona.Sounds like you put alot of thought into it.I`m still working on mine.
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com