This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Pedersoli/Springfield Model 1795 Reproduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Pedersoli/Springfield Model 1795 Reproduction Reply with quote

Greetings to all

I've been thinking of getting a flintlock musket. The Springfield 1795 would fit the time period that interests me, and the 13-1/4" length of pull (as listed in the Dixie catalog) would be just right. This gun is made by Pedersoli. The $1250.00 pricetag is a little intimidating for a mass-produced import, though, and I would like to hear from anyone who might have first-hand information on this piece. I am especially interested in knowing about reliability, lock and trigger function, and how it holds up to use.

Living in Florida as I do, Dixie's new Pedersoli "Spanish musket" has a lot of appeal, but it unfortunately differs considerably from the originals. The one individual I have met who owns one, however, said his is a good shooter and very reliable, with an extremely nice lock and trigger action.

I would appreciate your sharing your thoughts.

Crooked River
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, where you at in FLA? I'm orlando.

what time period, etc are you portraying?

Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I sent you a PM.

I live near Alachua, which is near Gainesville.

Brent
Singleaction
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I was planning on doing a 1812 impression and purchased a 1795 Springfield by Pedersoli. Only had the weapon for a short time but did do some live fire with it. The musket shot well and was pretty good on accuracy. The trigger was a little heavy but that would be pretty accurate for a miltary musket. Only used it at one event doing blank firing. Had no problems with it. It sparked well. If I needed another 1795 Springfield I would have no problem in purchasing another Pedersoli. Hope this helps.
Larry
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Thanks for your comments. That was helpful.

Brent
benvenuto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pedersoli/Springfield Model 1795 Reproduction Reply with quote

Crooked River wrote:

Living in Florida as I do, Dixie's new Pedersoli "Spanish musket" has a lot of appeal, but it unfortunately differs considerably from the originals. The one individual I have met who owns one, however, said his is a good shooter and very reliable, with an extremely nice lock and trigger action.

I would appreciate your sharing your thoughts.

Crooked River

I have ordered one of these and am waiting on delivery.
Having looked at it closely in photos there is not too much Spanish about it but with Pedersoli's good reputation i thought i would take a gamble.

It would correspond to what collectors call "Modelo Guerra de Independencia" (this was never an official designation by the Spanish forces). These were made from 1808 -1814 while Spain was under French occupation and arms manufacture was dispersed to various locations to avoid capture.

These models have a variety of features , but most have three brass barrel bands, and the brass triggerguard with the swivel at the rear. The locks are french-style locks with a large ring on the top jaw screw, similar to that ued on the so called "Model 1752" spanish musket (again thats a collectors term not a historical term), however other types of lock are known. Basically in the middle of a guerilla war the Spanish army was not fussy except about the calibre.

Based on the photos I would say the ring on the topjaw screw needs to be bigger and more oval shaped, and that the rear barrel band is too wide, but otherwise it would pass for Napoleonic war re-enactment use.

I can report back in more detail when it finally arrives
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I appreciate your comments, and would be pleased to hear what you think after you have received and examined your musket.

As far as I know, the book, Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America, 1700-1821, by Brinkerhoff & Chamberlain, is the definitive work on this topic. This book is sadly out of print and used copies are prohibitively expensive, but I was able check a copy out from the local university library. Having the book in hand by no means makes me an expert, but I am inclined to agree with you. The lock on the Pedersoli reproduction does most closely resemble those on the "Cavalry Tercerola," the "Infantry Musket," and a "Short Fusil," all of 1815. However, the lower sling swivels on the 1815 musket and fusil are mounted on the front of the triggerguard, while the Pedersoli has it farther down, on the triggerguard's lower finial or grip rail, as on the Model 1752 and 1757. The true Spanish muskets illustrated in this book also have octagon-to-round barrels, while the Pedersoli is apparently all round. The book does not show an example of the Napoleonic-era piece you describe, but I have no doubt that you are correct.

It looks as if Pedersoli has produced a hybrid of various Spanish and non-Spanish muskets with this gun... Maybe not historically accurate, but an interesting piece, nonetheless. It does have a Spanish look to it, anyway.

The gentleman with whom I spoke said he contacted Pedersoli directly, and was informed that this particular musket is being produced for and marketed only by Dixie gun Works. I think this may have been the same fellow who wrote the review on the DGW website, where he added that the mountings are not really brass, but are just brass-colored, or powder-coated. I would be interested in your comments on this, also. Maybe see if a magnet will stick to the barrel bands?

Anyway, I appreciate you thoughtful and well-informed comments, and will look forward to hearing more. In any event, I hope you enjoy your new musket!

Crooked River
benvenuto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crooked River wrote:
Richard,

It looks as if Pedersoli has produced a hybrid of various Spanish and non-Spanish muskets with this gun... Maybe not historically accurate, but an interesting piece, nonetheless. It does have a Spanish look to it, anyway.

The gentleman with whom I spoke said he contacted Pedersoli directly, and was informed that this particular musket is being produced for and marketed only by Dixie gun Works. I think this may have been the same fellow who wrote the review on the DGW website, where he added that the mountings are not really brass, but are just brass-colored, or powder-coated. I would be interested in your comments on this, also. Maybe see if a magnet will stick to the barrel bands?

Anyway, I appreciate you thoughtful and well-informed comments, and will look forward to hearing more. In any event, I hope you enjoy your new musket!

Crooked River

It just arrived today after long delays,I can only give first impressions.
Firstly it was superbly packed, and had not so much as a scratch anywhere on it. it came with a CD catalogue, instruction manual etc.

It appears to be well made with with the exception of some of the inletting, namely around the tang and front of the lock. In contrast some of the less visible inletting is perfect!

The wood is a handsome piece of european or turkish walnut, plain but nicely coloured with some sort of oil finish.

I was surprised that while the outside was well greased, the bore was bone dry and lightly coated in rust as if it had not been cleaned properly after proofing. The lock is strongly made and positive in operation, and the trigger pull pretty much what you would expect. I dry fired a few times and I suspect the frizzen could need some hardening to work at optimum efficiency.

Withdrawing the ramrod was difficult due to the design of the front nosecap which seems to need a groove to be forged into in.

The bayonet supplied could have been better finished for the price (its actually for the US M1812) and is a trifle loose but I can sleeve it with brass shim.

It points better for me than a second model brown bess does, overall i think it is better finished than a lot of the originals were. Yes, the barrel is round at the breach and there was one deep scratch from manufacture that wasn't polished out

My reference book is "Armamentos de Municion en las Fuerzas Armadas Espanolas" by Juan L Calvo (2004)
His website is here: http://www.catalogacionarmas.com/index.asp

Its heavy going even with good spanish and only has line drawings but has detailled descriptions and has close up drawings of the different locks in use. He has one example of "model de guerra" illustrated and it is the best match to the Dixie musket, but it is a one of a kind model with no further examples known to him although he says there are many others which are similar.

Hope to conduct an "autopsy" later on in the week and will test the barrel bands with magnets then. I am fairly happy overall, the only modifications I would make would be perhaps a new topjaw screw and different rear barrel band (or modify the one it came with if its not steel with brass plating)
benvenuto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: I just checked Reply with quote

All the furniture on this musket is steel plated in brass.

there was rust about 6 inches down the barrell, but it came off with a bit of scrubbing with a bronze bore brush.

More updates when i get a chance to shoot it and dismantle it properly
Harold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought both a 1816 and 1795 US muskets from DGW. They are both made by Pedersoli. I kept the 1816. It is very well made and finished and has a good trigger. I returned the 1795. It just wasn't up to the level of fit and finish of the 1816 and the trigger was very heavy. I do think there is some variation from gun to gun with these so you never know. DGW is very good about returns.
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your input.

Crooked River
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com