This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Let's Start this off...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Let's Start this off... Reply with quote

Did any of your plant Gardens this year? Ifo so did you use Heirloom plants or traditional methods?

Janna and I planted a small garden (about 12'x12') this year, I tried to use as many heiloom plants as I could (some 18th century and others pre-WW2).

We didn't use traditional methods our garden is very much modern, but we have tried to keep as much of ir as possible organic so it isn't too far from what we did at Martin's Station. It has been enjoyable. We are growing:

Virginia Gourdseed Corn (18thc)
Flat Dutch Cabbage
Spanish Onions
Heirloom Tomatoes (I forget what kind)
Yellow Crookneck Suash
Zuccini Squash
Broccoli
Red, Green & Yellow Bell Peppers

So far we have eaten Tomatoes, Onion, Squash and Corn out of our garden and last night we got to eat some cabbage and bell peppers.

We also planted to beans and peas but they didn't do so well. This fall I plan to build 3 or 4 raised beds for the garden next year. I want to make the overall size a little larger but using smaller plots.

Let's hear about your gardens!

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susan
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great subject!
I have several (more than I need, but not enough space) for flowers and herbs. Mostly raised beds. I don't do the veggies. Just me, is time and space, and squirrels getting stuff before I do. So I do Farmers Market 1 day/week and $10-15 gets me more tomatoes, peaches, potatoes, beans...more than I can use.
On tomatoes, one grower is now doing Goliath. Is heirloom. They are doing well with that one. They said they have tried different ones, and this the most successful. FWIW
I'll add something on herbs, later.

Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do scarlet runner beans, sometimes jacob's cattle beans. For squash, yellow crookneck and early white scallop (very similar to patty pan), for winter squash, conneticut field pumpkins. I've considered hubbard squash, but I think its kind of late for my time period.(1770's) Salsify, skerrit, I've had a few different varieties of corn, I try for 7-8 row flint, white or light colored if I can get it. Usually I try at living history locations in N.E. where they grow corn. Most will sell heirloom seeds in packets or even seedlings, corn I've just asked for a couple of ears from their plants to get it and I've found that most of the people are helpful when you tell them that you are in the hobby and are trying to have a period garden. I tried at first the "3-sisters" method, but from reading I believe that that method had been abandoned by N.E. farmers long before the 1770's. I did put pumpkins between the corn rows however. I also usually grow a lot of herbs and simples as well as lettuce- cos, deer's tongue, spotted. This year I only did the squash and pumpkins, but I still have the fall planting so maybe I'll add a few more things.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice addition to the board.

Our family has a number of large gardens (counting flower gardens, about 1/2 acre tilled) as well as a small orchard of sorts started. This next year we will be creating a raised bed, formal herb garden nearer the house... always going bigger and bigger ;-) Not everything we grow is period to our interests (although A LOT is), but everything is heirloom.

I don't have time to post much more (super busy this fall), but you can see some info and images here... http://frenchinwisconsin.yolasite.com/gardens-et-al.php

Isaac

nopaosak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see this here too! I am afraid my gardening is in full fall cleanup mode...but I will share again when things get going in my neck of the woods this spring.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAD FROST. Last night was a COLD one here in WI

IW

badWind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

better than an inch of snow on the ground, it is definatley, at last, FALL in the Rockies....
carlilex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is planning there garden for 2010, and what are you planting?

I am doing some pumpkins (ct field), squash, gerkins, tobacco as well as some other non period veggies. All heirloom from my seed stock. I will be adding 2 more raised beds this year as well as a period flower garden. When we bought our property it had a treasure trove of flowers that had been planted over the last 75 years. Many period flowers. As we find them, 5 years overgrown, I am hoping to organize them into a period labrynth style garden.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlilex wrote:
When we bought our property it had a treasure trove of flowers that had been planted over the last 75 years. Many period flowers. As we find them, 5 years overgrown, I am hoping to organize them into a period labrynth style garden.

Sounds like us. We burned off a large area in the back of our house that was tall grass but had been gardens at one point. MANY flowers came back. Those, along with some flowers from around the house that we removed, were used to make a 20' x 60' garden that I added cobblestone paths to. I also recently put in some boxwoods along the back that I hope to nuture into a nice small hedge.

Isaac

Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now all I've got planned is to pare back the size of the garden in order to make the weeding more manageable. Not enough free time in my day to manage a garden the size I had last year. I'll still be planting what have become staples for us, just not as much. I might plant pumpkins this year instead of gourds. Fewer cabbages, more cukes. I'll probably take out a membership in Seedsavers Exchange again this year for their directory, and see if I can't find some 18th century carrots and broccoli. I wouldn't mind finding another 18th century apple tree too. I'll be boxing in the patch of Jeruselum artichokes before they get out of hand, as soon as the ground thaws sufficient to dig in some edging. I'll be expanding the prairie bed. And of course I'll be rotating everything.

Right now I'm making some brass snares for the rabbits, and I'll be setting those directly. Around the end of the month I'll be pruning back the apple trees, grape vine and walnut tree, and I'll be starting some tobacco flats about then too.
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Some Swing Fault Reply with quote

DELETED
hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: garden Reply with quote

Nothing important just a question. Didn't the colonists think maters were poisonous? I read that somewhere I think...Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com