This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Cure for Slippery Winter Mocs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Cure for Slippery Winter Mocs Reply with quote

If you're like me and live in the land of the north, and like to hunt and trek in the winter, you have no doubt taken a "Moccasin slide ride". and to be frank...
It sucks.
So in a way to find a way that was at least primative but probably not period..I took some rope(hemp if you could afford it)but I got it at the H-D. take the rope 8 ft of it and start at where the base of the big toe bends and where the little toe bends and wrap the rope from the top down and cross the rope under the sole of the foot. keep wrapping around till just enough is left to go around the ankle and tie. in the snow its not the best and you will need to play a little to get it right but it works and just maybe in the colonial days someone did the same as me. Happy trails.

Submitted by: Soggy Moc - JCG0621@aol.com on December 14, 2002

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
picker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: slippery winter mocs Reply with quote

[quote]I got the fastest horse, surest rifle,prettiest gal,ugliest dog. My ol' man could lick any man in the country and I could lick my ol' man.I can out grinn a mountain lion,out wrestle a grizzly bear,ride a lighting bolt and tote a steam boat on my back. Nimrod Wildfire . the way I heard to make your moc better grippers on ice was to brush them with a stiff brush from side to side , seems to work
John C
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Slippery Mocs Reply with quote

Just wear creepers ifn you're ice and snow. Save some time and don't ruin yer soles.
John C
TheShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pine pitch applied to the soles will also help some, but you have to know how to fall if you want to wear plain leather sole moccasins!
Le Loup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cure for Slippery Winter Mocs Reply with quote

[quote="Jason"]If you're like me and live in the land of the north, and like to hunt and trek in the winter, you have no doubt taken a "Moccasin slide ride". and to be frank...
It sucks.
So in a way to find a way that was at least primative but probably not period..I took some rope(hemp if you could afford it)but I got it at the H-D. take the rope 8 ft of it and start at where the base of the big toe bends and where the little toe bends and wrap the rope from the top down and cross the rope under the sole of the foot. keep wrapping around till just enough is left to go around the ankle and tie. in the snow its not the best and you will need to play a little to get it right but it works and just maybe in the colonial days someone did the same as me. Happy trails.

Submitted by: Soggy Moc - JCG0621@aol.com on December 14, 2002[/quote]

Boozhoo, I find that my moccasins grip better when they are wet, at least on grass. You method of wrapping light rope/small stuff around your moccasins sounds like a very period way. That is what experimental archaeology is all about. The product was available, and through your experiences, you decided to try this method. Well done.
Le Loup.
flintlock75
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Slip free winter footwear Reply with quote

After many years of winter living and treking, the best method of footwear treatment i have found for snow and ice is to attach a peice of hair on hide to the bottoms of my mocasins. My buddy attached buffalo hide to his regular moc's (hair side down) and he could not be happier. no slips or slides at all. I made a pair of caribou over boots to wear with my moc's, They have a outer soul of hair down hide attached. Again no slip or slide on the ice or snow and very good traction in deep snow as well. The added warmth is fantastic and the hair does not absorb moisture if kept cold. This is well worth the effort.
Le Loup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Slippery Moccasins. Reply with quote

I have also heard of people putting socks on over the moccasins.
longwalker
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: mocassins on the snow and ice Reply with quote

The hair-on moc. sole additions works very well. I use some sheep skin, with the wool out, and it is great. Also, since necessity is the mother of invention, I have no doubt at all, that some fellow put rope around his mocs. The snow is over here in Arkansas, but I will try the rope method.
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cure is Hi-Lows with hobnails
:)
LD

longwalker
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: slick mocasins Reply with quote

Hmmm, I like Loyalist Dave's idea. Now why the devil didn't I think of that? I should have, though, because my good wife has wooden shoes, and she had me put hobnails in them ( yes, they did that, and still do ) after she slipped and fell on her bun last winter on our own sidewalk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com