This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Learning to Track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Learning to Track Reply with quote

One of the least mentioned items of living history, is the art of tracking. It seems to me that the hunting pioneers would have been very knowledgeable in this area. I recently picked up a great book on the subject "The SAS guide to Tracking" even though this book is written from a modern perspective, it clearly recognizes tracking as a lost aboriginal art that as applications even today. I highly recommend this subject as something a Trekker should at least have a basic understanding of.

Submitted by: Gene S. - estevens@mc.net on March 15, 2003

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adam Wetherington
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Tracking-Operations-David-Scott-Donelan/dp/1581600038

This book is also useful. It is primarily geared toward man-tracking though. I was fortunate enough to attend one of Mr. Donelan's courses and I was very impressed with the results. I thought I knew about tracking before but realized I hadn't known squat.

Adam
Sir William
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken several tracking courses with Jim Bruchac of the Ndakinna Center in New York and Jim Halfpenny of a Naturalist's World in Gardiner, MT (near Yellowstone).

http://www.ndakinnacenter.org/pages/calendar.php

http://www.tracknature.com/mm5/

Jim Bruchac teaches tracking skills of the Abenaki, while Jim Halfpenny uses a very scientific approach. They often dual-teach tracking courses in Yellowstone, so you get the benefit of both traditional and scientific methods.

Now I can't walk down a trail without automatically scanning for tracks and other sign - and I'll stop in a heartbeat to examine anything I see, to include wandering along the sign to read the story of what came by and what it did.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tom Brown books. They seem pretty good.

LD

Hiparoo
User

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Tom Brown books....taught me a lot...the rest you must learn by doing, no amount of book knowledge can teach what the field teaches...."you can't cheat the mountains, the mountains got their own way".

User

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I would have to agree that tracking is something you have to learn from experience. While you can read about how to do it, it's alot better to have some with experience show you and take you under their wing so to speak. I would only consider myself a novice, but it's alot of fun to pick up a fresh trail and see where it goes. Even if you loose the trail, you'll learn something and have fun, too. I guess it's just nice being out walking thru the woods.

Good luck with your track. Garry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com