This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Completely shaven heads???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodchucker
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Completely shaven heads??? Reply with quote

I am interested in portraying a Notheastern Woodland Indian during the mid 1700's

I am of mixed Swedish, Oneida and Penobscot blood,I have very little body hair which would be easy to shave.

However, I am almost 50 years old,amost totaly gray and VERY thin in the "top-knot".....

How common was it for Northeastern Indians to completely shave thier heads?????

(A "scalp lock" is totaly out of the question!!!)

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(A "scalp lock" is totaly out of the question!!!)

What if you had a cosmetic one made, and fastened it upon your head with spirit-gum like the actors use to attach false mustaches and beard to their faces?

This has worked for me in the past.

LD

lee a

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am alsoe in the market for a scalp lock. Any sugestions on who makes a good one.
josephprivott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, Pm sent,

Woodchcker, do I need to send you one as well?
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephprivott wrote:
Lee, Pm sent,

Woodchcker, do I need to send you one as well?

Me me me...

stickbow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have enough hair by today's post to keep you NDN for a long time, meester Isaac. Now you just need instructions.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... got my mail last night... WOW... I am set, A big merci, danke, miigwech, and etc.!!!

IW

tiptoe2u
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did ALL 18th Century male Indians shave their head? Was this a war ritual? I see lots of pictures of the use of turbans, were these only worn by chiefs and did they too shave their heads? Could someone please answer these questions for me. Thanks Sherry aka Meli
captchee
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiptoe2u wrote:
Did ALL 18th Century male Indians shave their head? Was this a war ritual? I see lots of pictures of the use of turbans, were these only worn by chiefs and did they too shave their heads? Could someone please answer these questions for me. Thanks Sherry aka Meli

Unitsi Osiyo

depends on the people and the time . Some say it was for war . Others say no it was a style .
In the later 19th century it was documented that the Osage Pawnee and Omaha , were still Plucking the heads of young boys and maintained given styles for societies they belonged to .so its not just a 18th century thing

turbans also are some subject to debate as to how early they date .
it also depends on what your describing as a turban because there are many different types of those as well and can be relatively people specific in their styles . Among my own people the Alasdulo turban
Is a fabric wrap of sorts. There are many paintings from the early 19th century showing this design .
I also do not believe this was designated for people of authority . But most all men wore them .
Mario
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiptoe2u wrote:
Did ALL 18th Century male Indians shave their head? Was this a war ritual? I see lots of pictures of the use of turbans, were these only worn by chiefs and did they too shave their heads? Could someone please answer these questions for me.

Don't know about the South or West, but all the accounts I've read about tribes in the NE basically state that the men plucked out all the hair of the head except for a part the size of a crown piece.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com