This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Bear hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Bear hunting Reply with quote

Anyone do much bear hunting with flinter or matchlock? I am thinking that I should be able to draw my kill tag for next fall's WI season in Northern WI. I am definately using my fusil, although moments of madness have made me think of using the matchlock. I am pushing for the fusil as the smell of the match will be an issue (although I have some correct ideas), BUT this being my first bear and bear tags not the easiest to come by around here... want to go for something a bit more sure (i.e. flinter).

IW

Capt. Jas.
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have every year for the 5 or 6 but prior to this year we only had 3 days. Hard to kill a bear within a 3 day time frame here without being able to chase it with dogs or bait it. Usually always see a bear when out hunting other critters as our general season is from mid-Nov to first part of Jan. and we hunt all the seasons with flintlocks. This year we get 2 weeks for bear : )
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a bear with a flinter - black bear with a .50 flint "Hawkin" long time ago (1988). It did the job nicely.

I know a couple of people who have harvested black bears with 20 gauge smoothbores. They reportedly did the job nicely.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Pit
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the flinter.bears have a good sense of smell.Are you hunting from a stand over bait?

Isaac
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I will likely use bait and be climbing a tree. Part of me hates to use bait from an historic view but with limitied hunting time and 10 years of applying for the tag... I gotta do what I gotta do.

Isaac

Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMMMMM... Bear-B-Q!

Good luck, Issac!

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Pit
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can run bear with dogs the next best approach is bait and wait.Bears are close to humans in habit and thought processes so pay attention.

TiminIndiana
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac wrote:
Part of me hates to use bait from an historic view

Bear hunting with hounds is still legal in some parts of the country unless I'm mistaken. That being said, I wouldn't feel bad. A woodsman would do whatever to survive.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiminIndiana wrote:
Isaac wrote:
Part of me hates to use bait from an historic view

Bear hunting with hounds is still legal in some parts of the country unless I'm mistaken. That being said, I wouldn't feel bad. A woodsman would do whatever to survive.

A lot of hound use around here yet. Very historic if one wanted to do it that way.

IW

TiminIndiana
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac wrote:
Very historic if one wanted to do it that way.

Yeah, I've hunted wild boar behind hounds with a knife. It's a trip.
craftwelder
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 20 bait stations out in the Cascade mtns of washington for about 8 years....start your baits approx 3 weeks before season opens, and I don't know what you are going to use for bait, but use some kind of stinky half rotten meat nailed to a tree above the barrel to get it started...I used sweet rols, dog food covered in molasses and bacon scraps.....most bears will come to sweets really regular once they find em.....good luck have fun and ENJOY!!!!

PS...you should be able to get molasses in 5 gallon pails at a feed mill they use it to mix sweet feed.

Shine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and few like minded friends spend a whole week at bear camp each sept. We all hunt with flinters I use a trade gun. Im on bear number 14 in my life. I missed a bunch of seasons when I was in the army.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com