This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
A SCOTTISH STYLE FLAT HORN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puffer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: A SCOTTISH STYLE FLAT HORN Reply with quote

Although flat Horns were carried in Eur & Amer (non Scots) This genre of Horn was carried most often by Scots, Not only in Scotland, every were they were incl. America.& hence has become "associated" with them.

Here iare pics of one made for a Gift by our "BEAVERMAN" & his partner

If this type of horn interests you, I have some pics of others (incl. orinals & sources

Puffer
Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice horn, Puffer. Thanks for posting.

I'll bet those flat horns are very comfortable to carry.

Crooked River
Captain_Cogle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Scottish powder horn! They are an awesome style and truly unique. Took me years to finally find one here on the west coast.

Beyond hunting, as I am the officer of our small Jacobite 1745 reenactment group I get to carry mine at events.

Mad Piper used to make them until his health went bad. Know of any one making them now?
Puffer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Cogle wrote:

Mad Piper used to make them until his health went bad. Know of any one making them now?

Captain, As I mentioned above, "BEAVERMAN" ( our forum member #51) made mine & He is also the "owner" of this other Forum on Horn Making ( there are a couple of great makers of "Flat Horns there )

http://thehornersbench.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Hope this helps

Puffer
Captain_Cogle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the info! Sorry I assumed that it was a one time make home project.
Puffer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Cogle wrote:
Great thanks for the info! Sorry I assumed that it was a one time make home project.

No Prob. I wish I could do something like that.

Puffer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com