This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Farbs Anonymous
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: farb Reply with quote

red squirrel wrote:

I think this thread is meant to be sarcastic, and fun to read.

Bingo! In case nobody noticed, I'm wearing modern eyeglasses in my avatar pic...

red squirrel wrote:

We have kids in our ranger group who may not have a father to support them in their new hobby. No one yells at them for wearing tennis shoes when their obviously making an effort with the rest of their kit to be PC, but dont have the money or knowledge yet to do so.

Exactly. We all start somewhere. The folks I run with wouldn't berate people like that. They are more apt to have the kids hang out at their campfire, give them a deerhide and show them how to make a pair of mocassins for their next event.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Bogie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Farbs ? Reply with quote

Mario is right on.The object isn't to scorn anyone.Its to offer assistance,and seek help ourselves.Those who wish to improve their kits will find most serious reenactors very willing to offer advice.
They do get exasperated when some folks insist that blatantly incorrect or "fantasy" items or practices should be accepted.We are all imperfect,and admit that the journey is continous.Don't stagnate,get out there and talk to experienced folks,read,and participate in forums like this one!
Regards,
Willy
Huntier
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with the sentiments of Mario and Redsquirril. It's like I said earlier..."I think we can agree that there is FARB and farb. Differenc being...not reserching and going with what "looks good" or with the "status quo" --and then trying to justify or defend the position. There's the other "farbs" and I'd LIKE to think I'm in this catagory: we do the best we can with what we have to be as historically accurate as we can (and would like to be) and if for example we don't have walnut hulls and we'd like our leggins a little darker, and we KNOW that walnut hulls are one way of doing it, but we have to 'settle' for rit berries, then hey, it's all good. " The main thing is, we have fun! And those of us who DO like to be as "historically accurate" as we can, and those who don't care, we can still sing 'kumbyah' and be friends! Lol! Those who do what they do and don't care, or care if others care, aren't technically "farb". They're just-People having fun! (yay!)

Huntier
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Mario, the glasses you are wearing totally work! I didn't even notice they were modern till you brought it up! That's funny!

longcarabean
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy i sure kicked the hornets nest did'nt i? i know this thread was in jest,and i wasnt trying to be preachie. there are those though that will tell you that to shed the farb you'll have to turn your back on who/what you knew before.(or at least i have had a holier than thou person tell me that.) i'll still be out there camping and if anybody want to swing by the fire we'll tip a cup or two and have grand old time. sorry if i brought a black cloud over this thread, Mario's lists were hilarious.

bob miller
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather about personal hygiene . { ie tooth care! } back then;
I'd say we are all "farb" to one degree or another.
I love the history of the 18th C , but to actually be living back then would mean that statistically...1 or two of my kids would not have survived childhood. Many longer lived guys were on there 2nd or 3rd wife due to chidbirth deaths, kitchen fires etc.
Up here , my family homesteaded in the late 1800's, and it was brutal even then. The first year they built the barn and lived in that the first winter. The house came 2nd. My great Aunt died from pneumonia at 18 years old.
I play in the 18th C, but live in the 21st! It's all fun.
Flashpan23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Farb Reply with quote

To Bob's point,
Try as we would like, we are 21st century people. (Given the number of times I've been shot , stabbed and stomped on, I have to be glad, othrewise I'd been dead a LONG time ago). All we can do is try to be as correct as possible and lend a hand where we can. Otherwise we become the "period correct nazis" we all find distasteful.
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a lot of times folks stop to consider what it's like to be looked down on by folks that you respect. Something to think about when you're trying to encourage someone to grow. I wonder how many times a "Farb" is just someone who's been put off by snobs.
Huntier
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I think that's true in any aspect of life. I think it may be-possibly-more galling to get looked down on by folks who are portraying people that we tend to lump into a catagory of being "good ol' boys"-down home, salt of the earth country folk-that is. It's sad that not everyone has the "art" of teaching down. Or in other words, that not all who try to mentor or interact with others can do so in a way that is "unsnobbish" . Sad but true. I know for me, when I talk to a friend of mine about what I do, or he asks me about this historic thing or that, or what's Hc/pc, I always tell him: "Well, according to the research.... and end with: "but remember, it depends on if that's what you want to do with this stuff. So I always deliniate to him what can be done, what has been done, and of those, what we think we know is historically accurate, and since I know HIM-I know he'll use what he wants, not use the rest, and not try to justify the stuff he does that's farby. And that's cool between us. I'm sure you've found that dealing with total strangers, we don't always approach it that way. On here, though, I think we're doing better overall with finding out what someone wants out of this so we can tailor our answers to their needs. If the people of the world could do that everytime with everything-that would be nice...

Mario
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntier wrote:
Or in other words, that not all who try to mentor or interact with others can do so in a way that is "unsnobbish" .

And on the other side of the coin, not all of those who ask questions are able to take the real answer. They ask if something they just got is correct and get pissed when you tell them no.

In my years in the hobby, I have come across one, so-called stitch nazi who fit the snobby/elitist mold. And I think he's just a putz in 21st century life who carries over...;-)

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
bob miller
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strong desire to know the truth. I can understand making an informed decision to use a particular item ,knowing that it is not PC, simply because of 21st C constraints. Example-winter camping, my friend used a foam pad...we could not cut spruce boughs, it was a hard wood forest.
Leaves were 2 feet under the snow. I was cold, he wasn't. I can live with that, because I'm trying to learn how to be warm WITHOUT the foam pad.
I can't believe that everyone froze their butts back then, and the learning process is what keeps me interested. Again, I don't begrudge the ones who carry the foam pads, or even the "emergency" lighter. Their toes are in the water, but they haven't jumped in. OK. Gosh knows, it's hard enough to get
people to come out and play....especially in winter!
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: farb Reply with quote

I have run into a few farb police as well. I know of a couple guys who dont camp anymore with a group because of these police. I would wrather encourage my hobby to grow, not run people off because they were close, but not close enough.
I am at the belief my kit and persona will encourage those either first interested or just stuck in a rut to study history, create their own persona, and learn some skills of the 18th century. This keeps me on my toes. I also only build my kit for myself, and not to please the farb police. I love to make my own acouterments. This means I have made pc mistakes and have learned from the ones I know of. This learning process is appreciated by those starting out, and those who dont have skills in certain areas. Rubbing elbows with those in my hobby through this computer has strengthened my knowledge. What would I be if I didnt pass on what I knew?
If a guy is trying, I encourage him all the more.

Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I've given a lot of thought to over the years, and especially have since my daughter came along. The bottom line I believe is that respect is key. Whenever you lose someone's respect you lose their ear, as if the loss of respect alone isn't bad enough. I think that point was first driven home, hard, when I went through boot camp at the tender age of 19. The way I remember my DI's molding their "mob" was with a carrot/stick approach. Never did they offer a "criticism" without countering with solutions, encouragement and praise when it was due. Since that time I've also worked around and been friends with a large number of professional educators, and the best of them follow that same technique, although with a lot more tact than the DI's ever had or were required to have for their mission. Good educators try to build on and/or modify a students past learning and experience. The military's mission, at least when I was in, was to destroy most if not all of the student's past learning and experience and start from scratch. Two different missions, two different uses of the same teaching approach.

And then there's the third type of "educator", who uses education as an excuse to build their self up at someone else's expense. This type is easy to identify by the bigness of the stick and smallness of the carrot and the absense of a practical helping hand. Frankly, they're pigs that don't care squat about helping anyone but themselves.

On the other hand, I guess if you're a social Darwinist the point might even be mute. Education is something of a gaunlet to be run, and eventually some students will survive to see their teachers in their true light, and assign their praise or condemnation appropriately, and that doesn't always have to do with the validity of the content or the technical mistakes a teacher makes. A good educator teaches most of all the ability to learn and a passion for learning.
Steve Stanley
User

Location: Somewhere between 21st century England & 18th century Acadia...........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts..........For ages,I saw a linear progression from motel-staying,cotton-wearing to ditch-sleeping,walnut-dyed......I've now come to the conclusion it doesn't matter as long as the individual is happy in what he does......people tend to gravitate to an appropriate peer group anyway,And we'll all denigrate the stitch-nazis(better kit than mine),and the Farbs(worse ditto)...........And the viewing public think we're all mad anyway.............
Steve(unashamedly on the authenti-side,but too old to get wound up about other people....)
Huntier
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said boys! Amen, Amen and AMEN!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com