This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
snowshoe bindings, squaw hitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckcolas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: snowshoe bindings, squaw hitch Reply with quote

Howdy again, Hey I'm trying to find a good, easy to read diagram or instruction on how to bind snowshoes in a period correct way.
I have googled, and found a few diagrams, but they are barely readable. I am planning on using leather, or hemp. Anyhow, would sure like some advice...
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
A friend of the scotsman
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friend i wouldent use hemp in snow shoe binding it does not dry hard and stiff like leather im am looking to finish another pair, the frist i did with hemp and again wouldent advise it im gana be using leather i hope, cow hide
Snapper
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point the most comfortable snowshoe binding material I've found is long strips of wool. If you use a good broadcloth the edges won't fray enough that you'll need to be concerned.

I used hemp a long time ago and didn't like the way the narrow rope cut across my foot and toes; especially in winter mocs that only have a couple of pair of socks as cushioning. With the wool I can wrap the binding around my toes without it cutting in as much. For my snowshoes I use strips of cloth that are about 4' in length to start so I have plenty to wrap around my feet.

I hope that helps. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamp wick was used in Alaska throughout the time it was readily available. I think the strips of broadcloth suggested above would be similar, and probably pretty comfortable compared to line.

I've most frequently used heavily oiled leather, but it does need relatively frequent adjustment.

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com