This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Additions to my Prairie Project, 10-5-09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Additions to my Prairie Project, 10-5-09 Reply with quote

Last weekend my son and I did a short scout on foot along the Wabash about 5 miles West of Ouiatenon, in the vicinity of Granville, after which we scouted out the roadsides for native prairie plants to add to my prairie garden. This is what we came home with in seed and rhizomes, local remnants of the Wea Plains, all collected right along the roadside;

Common Boneset

partridge pea

big bluestem

bottle gentian/ soapwort

Indian plantain

rattlesnake master

Also, Goldenrod, type unknown
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEAT! I have ALWAYS loved Eryngium yuccifolium (Rattlesnake Master) there were a few spots with it in the prairie across from the family farm in Southern WI.

IW

ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Bummer we never got out to do this, but we have been doing the same thing. I have a paper bag full of Big blue stem and Indian grass, along with several types of Forbs seeds Celia has found. We have 1/2 acre plowed under waiting to be planted. It will take a few years before ours is any where established, like yours ?
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, I'm sure yours will be bigger and better eventually, Dit. No need for regret in not teaming up on this. I found that Sammy makes a good little trail partner. I should be apologizing to you for not giving you a heads up, but I tend to pick up and go on the spur of the moment as time allows. FWIW, the first county road running along the river South of Granville bridge, from Granville cemetary and on West and South to CR200 South, has 3 seperate non-profit nature preserves along it, all native prairie. These preserves are off-limits for gathering, but you can still find plenty growing along the road outside the preserve limits.

Now, I know of two seperate spots, one North and one South of Greater Lafayette along SR 52, that have stands of prairie dock and possibly a few other as yet unidentified/unconfirmed native species. I'll be headed out to these as time allows. Next Spring I'll be contacting the commercial prairie preserve out by West Point to fill in some gaps in my collection. I'll try harder to keep you in mind on these forays.

Quote:
NEAT! I have ALWAYS loved Eryngium yuccifolium (Rattlesnake Master) there were a few spots with it in the prairie across from the family farm in Southern WI.

With medicinal properties too. Too bad there are no rattlesnakes left that might provide the opportunity for a test. ;)

Seriously though, I do wonder how well it would work for bug bites and stings. Irregardless of it's usefulness though, it is a pretty plant.
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidently, an enigma in my prairie garden that has me puzzled (though gratified). I found a lone stalk of evening primrose growing out there a couple weeks ago, now loaded with seedpods, and I didn't put it there. If anyone out there has secretly gifted me I sure do appreciate it. Otherwise I'll just count it a gift of providence.
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score!

Have collected several seeds and will start seeding the worked area when we dry out a bit?
I have a local source for and have collected:
Big Blue Stem
Little Blue stem
Indian grass
Partridge pea
Side oat gama(?)
Virgina Wild rye(dies out after a year or 2)
and a forbs mix.
I have enough to do a acre, even if I only have a 1/2 plot.

It helps having friends in the restoration field and knowing several others who believe in wet land restorations Cool .

On a side note. Does the Eryngium yuccifolium (Rattlesnake Master) have a smell? I have seveal dried pods(seedhead?) that have a sweet smell to them and look like the pods here, but dried and aromatic?
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how this whole thing kind of snowballs. I went from a planted space the year before of around 15-20 SF to one last year measuring roughly 80 SF, to a space this year measuring around 200 SF. I currently have enough seed to plant out the remaining 250 SF I've already set aside for the purpose, and could probably extend the patch out another 5 x 80 feet with no problem.

No problem as far as the planting goes that is. The labor in this has been in trying to get rid of the non-native species. A whole lot of weeding went into the plot this year, and I had to be very careful how I burned it off last Spring; slowly, a small patch at a time over the course of a few days. This year I did lay down landscaping cloth over the remaining area I've originally intended on planting by way of killing off the weeds beforehand, and that'll help a lot, but I'll still have a lot of weeding to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com