This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
harvest ritual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depot7254

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: harvest ritual Reply with quote

would anyone out there know of or know where to find out info for a Native harvest ceremony or ritual? Something for the Lenni Lenape of Iroquois ?

Any info would be great!
Thanks,
Chris
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Can I ask at the sake of sounding rude why you are looking for this info?

Mike

depot7254

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a living history program for 7th and 8th graders. We grew a 3 Sisters garden last yr. I followed the discription in "Of Plimouth Plantation". Even though that was Wamponoag, I would like to possibly use something from the Lenape or Iroquois since I am in NY State
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

OK! Now I get it. I hesitate to go into specific Iroquois Harvest Ceremony "doings" - simply because it just isn't something that can be done outside of an Iroquoi community.

Sort of like holding your own Mass or funeral rite w/o an ordained priest.

Tou could however check out this book by a good friend of mine - "Giving Thanks" by Jake Swamp.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Giving-Thanks/Jake-Swamp/e/9781880000540

It is a simple thanksgiving message which is ok for public consumption. It also is the first thing spoken at any gathering of Iroquois people - including Harvest Ceremony.

Luke MacGillie
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nysha.org/for_teachers/classroom_resources/curricula/feeding_body_and_soul_haudenosaunee_agriculture_in_the_19th_century_0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com