This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Ever been shot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz.Mooney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a case of being shot, but I did once accidentally stab myself in the chest with an exacto knife. I'd estimate that with compression, the wound was probably a bit more than an inch deep. I didn't notice any particular pain at first; I just looked down at my chest, said "Buzz, that may be the stupidest thing you've ever done!", pulled it out, put a bandaid on it, and went about my business. I still have the scar, even though it was more than 25 years ago. I'd like to say that it is still the stupidest thing I've ever done, but the bandsaw scar on my right hand would make a liar of me.
Lloyd Moler
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz,
It sounds like you may just possibly be your own worst enemy...

Lloyd Moler
owl
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: ever been shot Reply with quote

Mercifully no. Shot at, oh yes. Face in the dirt, prayers like you can not imagine. Fear, Anger, Return Fire, Training kicks in and you do your job, sometimes to your everlasting, live it over and over. Guilt, you survived and others didn't. Struggle, no different today, I don't imagine than at any other time in history. Another long night coming.

Capt Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: shot Reply with quote

I have never been shot, but I shot my brother. Kinda, sorta , maybe with a round ball. It was a round BB,,,in the bottom of the big toe as he slept one morning.

Unlike others, whos minds went into tramua over-ride and felt little pain..let me assure you my brother felt immediate pain. I knew this 'cause he levitated and those same noises you hear on 'The Exorcist' came from his mouth.

I did feel fear. I ran fast. I ran far.

I was one really scared wee 5 year old white boy,,whew !

MD *alive today cause momma was home
scratch
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: shot Reply with quote

I will not go into the details about it but I have been shot with a 45 cal round ball, it hit me in the right hand, and lodged under the skin did not break any bones, but it hurt like heck after the shock of getting shot got over. I still have some numbness in my right middle finger from time to time this was over 15 years ago. It seems that it hurt more going to the emergency room and having the ball taken out. Scratch
eseabee1
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven`t been shot but stabbed and have taken some sharpnel i you want to know I didn`t know it happened till after everything calmed down then I realized I couldn`t walk but now I can ...i
dennis carter
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: being shot Reply with quote

a totally inappropriate question. To recount being shot means to recount an entire incident surrounding it. Its like a post several years ago when a "re enactor" asked if anyone heard people scream on a battlefield(in real combat). He wanted to recreat dying accurately.
Dennis

Jeff Gier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, thank God, have not been shot. I have been deliberately shot at once, 2004.

My father was shot in the face and neck while turkey hunting in southern Ohio, going on 25 years ago now. He survived. Walked out and drove himself to the DR. office. He said it hurt like H*ll and he bled a lot. They never found the guy who shot him and ran away.

A friend and co-worker was shot 6 times with a 45 pistol last month. Thank God he had on his body armor. First round hit his right hand and pistol as he was trying to draw, disabled his weapon. As he was fleeing, (only thing he could do) he was shot twice in the kidney area (vest stopped the rounds) once in each hip (challenge coin stopped one round the other penetrated his hip after going through his cuff case and duty belt. The last round hit his upper humerus.

He said that as he was running through the woods his arm kept flailing around and snagging on brush, he could not make either arm/ hand work right and could only pull against the snags and used his body to jerk free and keep running. Extreme pain, but he endured because death was his only other option.

He said he felt every round, but he said the tremendous pain in his right hand and left arm did not come until later. He said when the deputy tightened the tourniquet on his left arm he could feel the bones grinding and it was the most excruciating pain he has ever felt. Adrenalin, quick thinking and the grace of God allowed him to survive!

Nope, nothing romantic about being shot or going through the experience of having someone trying to end your life. Once that bullet is fired you can't call it back!
Bogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: being shot Reply with quote

dennis carter wrote:
a totally inappropriate question. To recount being shot means to recount an entire incident surrounding it. Its like a post several years ago when a "re enactor" asked if anyone heard people scream on a battlefield(in real combat). He wanted to recreat dying accurately.
Dennis

Yes,I find this question objectionable also.No point.Some things cannot be communicated with mere words,you have have to experience it,I hope folks don't,though.Why not ask if anyone has been involved in a fatal automobile collision?
Bog
D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was posed over a year ago. As we can clearly see, some are comfortable with it, others not so much. For those who don't approve, why did you bother to read it if it bothers you so?

The lady is doing research, and what is wrong with that? There is a dark side to everything, and to only look at the shiny side of things in history is as much a travesty as doing no research at all.

I commend her for her courage to look into this.

I have been shot by modern weapons three times, the most like a round ball would be the .38 wad-cutter in my right hip at point blank range. It was like a hammer-blow that sent me reeling backwards, the world spinning and I threw up as soon as I hit the ground. My assailant then tried to relieve me of my wallet, but he got my Old Timer Deerslayer in the gut instead, and that was that. Painful as it was, I still got on my chopper and rode for a few miles before I passed out and crashed near our clubhouse. Another club member came right after that and took care of things. Being an outlaw biker at the time, the last thing I wanted was cops taking me away with a gunshot wound. The bullet lodged on my hip bone and the doctor our club used got it out with tweezers. I was back at work three days later with a huge bruise and of course limping , but none the worse for wear.

As for death in general, I can count 17 that I have witnessed from job-sites to auto collisions, to having my daughter die before my eyes. Maybe I'm just callous, but it doesn't bother me to talk about it.
VtBlackdog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 38 spec. lead round nose bounce back and hit me in the shin while shooting bowling pins; about like being hit by a baseball bat. It was an immidiate, sharp sting. I looked down, didn't see blood, and kept shooting.
dennis carter
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: being shot Reply with quote

Being shot by a robber or a hunting accident or somwthing similar is one thing but bragging about how many times you have been shot is another. I read post because a lot of the are indistinguishble in the title
Dennis

Medicine Soldier
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original question was

Quote:
Have any of you ever been shot with lead ball?
I know it can't feel good, but I'm looking for first hand accounts of how it feels to be shot.

The question asks for accounts of being shot with a lead ball. No request for any details of being shot in battle, in a Law Enforcement incident or hunting accidents and so no request to "recount an entire incident surrounding it." Quite a stretch to compare it to someone asking about the screams on a battle field or a fatal auto accident.

I would speculate that those exxagerating the extent and meaning of the question would be the first to complain about the correctness of her writing in regard to such an event.

Medicine Soldier
D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First hand accounts of being shot. Lead ball. How it feels to be shot. Hmmm. what did i miss here? I doubt she'll be back anyhow, so WTF?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com