This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Spookies, Ghosts, lost souls etc...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyBell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is good protection from a bad Ghost? I was told that the Irish use Holy Salt.
dboonekiltabar
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard stories all my life but never experienced any myself. Back home in Kentucky, they were called "haints". My papaw said that when the doctor came on horseback to the house to deliver my mom, papaw asked him how the ride was up the holler, to which he replied," It uz all right 'cept they was a damn califf riding behind me on my hoss the whole way up here." In Southeastern Kentucky, there were specific kinds of "haints" that were called califfs. I don't know if that is how you spell it. I've never seen it in print or ever heard of it outside that area.
When my papaw was a little boy, him and his friends were out playing in the woods about dark and saw what he described as something,"looked like a glowing butter churn". He and his brothers followed it and directly it sank in the ground. He told his mom about it and the next day they went to the spot where it sank and she dug an old coffee pot up out of the ground. She pulled out several of the big old dollars they had way back. She was able to peel them apart and dried them in the oven. She took them to the bank and because the serial numbers were legible they gave her money for them which she used to by all the children shoes.
That's a mite curious, ain't it.
Rodger

RandyBell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Rodger and Jesse. I am fascinated by ghost stories from the cumberland middle ground.
Laurel you are a braver person than I, Were you alone or with a camping party?

Randy Bellamy
Steve Stanley
User

Location: Somewhere between 21st century England & 18th century Acadia...........

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from the UK.....My wife & a friend were driving back home across the 1645 Naseby battlefield,when they hit what they described as a 'wall of ice'.....shivering,feeling intensly depressed..lasted about 300 yards...it was in the area associated with the massacre of the Royalist camp followers after the battle...Personally I can't visit Culloden without feeling 'something'....sunniest day full of visitors,it still feels....wrong.....
Another friend is the custodian of a site in Berkshire which suffered a bloody storming in the Civil War......one post-event evening,he saw a friend cutting through the woods with another figure in 17thcent dress a few yards behind him....out of site for a couple of seconds behind a tree....no second figure...on querying first guy said he was alone,but kept looking back 'cos he thought someone was behind him..........
Steve
JW
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I’ve been to Culloden once, and I know what you mean. It didn’t help that it was a cold and misty day. I grew up on Fredericksburg battlefields, but never experienced anything as far as period “haunt.” As I mentioned before, my wife has.

Other than her archeology work on colonial sites, her place growing up was across town, near the wilderness battlefield. When she was about 10 or 11, she was playing in the house and heading up stairs to her room where her friends were. In the living room, there is a rocker (still in the same place) and she thought it was odd that she could hear it rocking. She said she turned the corner and saw a woman, in mid-19th century dress smiling at her from the rocking chair. Actually, for years, her older sister couldn’t sleep in her own bedroom because of the things she experienced.
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Ken will tell us about the French sentinel on the island at Lake George.

This is a great thread which I have enjoyed very much.The paranormal is an area which has long fascinated me. I have had a number of experiences and one involves an auditory rather than visual experience. I was doing a Civil War Weekend at Shakertown in Kentucky near Lexington and we were doing a medical demonstration which included surgery..As some of you may know all Shaker buildings have dual entrances and stairways for men and women respectively. The event was,I believe, in July, and about 4:00 on Saturday I was walking past the Meeting House and was standing at one end near the entrance when I heard a young girl singing inside what I took to be scales .I thought I would go in and speak to her but when I tried the door it was locked and the music stopped.Thinking that she might have come to a stopping point, I proceeded on and the music resumed so I tried the second door. Again the door was locked and the music stopped as before.That night I attended a program in the Meeting House on Shaker dancing and was seated on a bench on one end of the building.The building had inside windows against the ends where the walls met the ceilings. This enabled men and women ministers to watch the activity and look for possible converts.I had a very strong feeling of being watched but shook it off.The gentleman directing the program thanked us for our surgery demonstration and I asked why there had not been any singing since in prior visits there had been programs of Shaker music by girls from Transylvania College.I told him about what I had heard that afternoon to which he replied that there had been no one in the Meeting House. I told him that indeed I had heard a girl singing to which he replied that he would not be surprised at anything I might have heard in that particular building.I later was told but I haven't verified it that a girl had died there during the religious dancing which could get rather frantic and frenzied although the men and women were seperated when dancing.

This building was not the only one with paranormal activity but was the only one that personally affected me.
Tom Patton

dboonekiltabar
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Another ghost story,,, Reply with quote

I hope I'm not boring anyone with these stories,,,
When papaw and granny got married they lived in Corbin, KY near the railroad tracks. Papaw was driving a coal truck for a living then and was away alot.
This house they lived in had had a murder committed in it. They said a railroad man had discovered his wife having an affair and hid to see if it was true. It was and he killed the man while he was in the bathtub and killed his wife while she was in the kitchen.
Granny said she would wash dishes and put them away and go in the next room. She said it would sound like every dish in the house was being broken. She'd run in there and nothing would be out of place. Papaw said he could brace the bathroom door with furniture and lock it with a key and the next morning it would always be open 2 or 3 inches.
One night while Papaw was away, Granny walked 10 miles in the middle of the night from Corbin to London where her mom and dad lived.
She was a good Christian woman and not one to back down from much, but evidently that night it kind of shook her up.

Mr.Westover
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Salt Lake City a former coworker of mine used to be a grave digger at the Salt Lake Cemetery. One day they were there to put the vault lid in place and then fill in a grave of an older Native American gentleman who had died. When they went to put the lid on the cement vault holding the casket, they could see that the friends and family of the man had placed all kinds of gift on top of the coffin like beads, feathers, blankets and what appeared to be several hundred dolalrs in cash. A couple of the other gravediggers said that there was no sense in burying all of that money as they old guy wouldnt need it, and one of them jumped down in to pick it up. As he did, one of the eagle feeathers placed on top of the coffin directly over the guys head started spinning in a circle. Needless to say the guy jumped out and they sealed the vault and filled the grave without touching the cash.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com