This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Breech clout question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Condé
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the trianglular, or pointed, cut to the ends ED. As opposed to the squared off ends on most clouts. It seems to have been a Seminole fashion only.

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ed...Maurer....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured, but...
The triangular ends probably made the water run off better.
tqoqwej
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my breechcloth is 10 inch by 36 inch
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Ed...Maurer....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....good for you
Mountain Gummer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Breech Clout Reply with quote

It seems to me that we spend a lot of time looking at Euro-centric pictures for some of our "documented" sources.

We know that many documented drawings of natives at the time of contact were drawn to represent a different people with clothing articles changed to reflect the popular concept of natives. This started with the Spaniards' drawn depiction from second sources of the Carib peoples.

Granted, my experience with clouts are from the high plains and plateau peoples. One of the most patient teachers I had was from the Crow nation. He taught me to form my hands as if I were going to do a two-handed "hang loose" sign, touch both thumbs together at the tips and measure the distance between the outstretched little fingers. For the length he taught me to hold the material with both hands and let it hang down. Once the desired length is found cut it. I tend to like long buckskin clouts with a wool small clout in the back. I have stayed by this measure for years and it has not let me down (nor have I had any embarrassing mishaps).

Why not also look to archeological pictorial evidence for clouts? Could we take ideas from the shell, stone, and pottery carvings from archaic cultures and glean some wisdom there?

The great mound Chieftainships of the Mississippi Valleys were at their highest peak when DeSoto, LaSalle, and other explorers encountered the river peoples. Their arts are still with us even though diseases decimated their power. I believe archaic evidence could and should be considered on top of the printed, biased pictures and drawings from colonial eras.

Just my two cents.

Ay uyata prinquis! (It is all good countrymen!)

Gummer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com