This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Strange happening!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackie Brown
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Strange happening! Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, a customer brought a 50 cal rifle that I built several years ago to me for some repairs. It hasn't been shot in 3 or 4 years. I stood it against my shop wall with some stocks. Today, I noticed a black streak up the wall about a foot long at the muzzle. Evidently, although unloaded and cleaned for a long time, there was enough powder residue to catch a spark from my grinder and make a mess on the wall. I regained an evidently lost respect for black powder!
Jackie
skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cleaned the gun you or him?

longhunter49
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: fire Reply with quote

I mentioned this to Jackie earlier and now I'll post it here. Years ago when I was in Texas, a buddy bought an old , old muzzleloader and we were trying to see what we could salvage. Dropped a ramrod down the barrel and it went to the breechplug so it was not loaded....but, when he was trying to unbreech it by applying a propane torch we got a nice long PPFFFFTTTT and a belch of smoke from the barrel. That gun hadn't
been shot in at least 75 years, but apparently there was enough old residue to still ignite. Guess there are really no unloaded barrels once a muzzleloader has been fired.

" This situation calls for a subtle mix of psychology and extreme violence.."
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
R. Villerot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a similar deal here in Tecumseh MI where a father & son were working on a breech plug and the gun went bang and shot his son. He didnt die but bad Ju Ju none the less.
tgreene
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ever read "The Rifle" by Gary Paulsen? It is really a children's book (I read it for the first time in 3rd or 4th grade) but it's a good read for any age. It is fiction but something similar happens.
markinmi
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That book "the rifle" may be informative to people that respect guns,But for those that don't know it seems to put the message out that those evil guns kill all on their own.
tgreene
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have thought about that before too Mark. I don't think that was his intentions though judging by other books he has written.
tresz08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that was so strange...i just wanna know if you already ask the other man about what as happened???maybe he has an idea about that or maybe he is the one who do that thing that accidentally you can't see???? who knows it would help you find out by asking him...
Jackie Brown
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: strange happening Reply with quote

Yep, I asked the gun owner about it. He said the gun hasn't been shot in over 5 years. It was cleaned (maybe) and stored. My thought is, if it was well cleaned, there wouldn't have been any powder residue. The black streak up my shop wall says there was a lot of powder. LOL
Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com