This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Panther Primitives ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Villerot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Panther Primitives ??? Reply with quote

Looking for input good or bad? Iam looking at thier hunters/pyrmid tent...

Thanks
raymond the younger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a lot of people that have tents from them, have not hears anything bad.
Joe Hinson
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what usages will you be putting this style of tent to? If it's just for personal camping then go right ahead, but if you are going to use it in a historical setting be sure you are getting a proper tent. It will save you from buying another one very soon down the road...

Personally, Panther makes a great tent and they have excellent customer service.
DFoster
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Joe on usage. If you're planning to use it in a historical setting, I'd go with a wedge. Lots of sizes and more readily documentable. I have two of their tents that I've had for years and have had three other of their tents in the past and no complaints.

Daniel

jeff42nd
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I bought a wedge from PP, and the quality was excellent. I also have tents from RK Lodges as well.

The only reason I bought from PP instead of RK Lodges, is that I received a Grant and I purchased a complete package setup from them.

Bottom line you can't go wrong with a tent from PP.

Make sure that you get the Flame Retardant, but get the 13 oz Army Duck. Last year at the Monsoon of Fort Ti the inside walls of my tent stayed bone dry even if I leaned up against the side or was touching the side. Totally awesome, many other Highland Units were very impressed with my tents staying that dry in that heavy of a rain.

Quality very high!
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Pyramid tent is for a pretty late time period - even later than the Rocky Mountain fur trade era rendezvous. It is generally an 1870's and later cowboy/old west tent.

It is ... accepted ... at many events, but "accepted" is different from correct and documentable. Too many people want that "instant pop-up tent" like a modern one, and the pyramid comes close. But the best description of it would be that it looks ... old-timey. Unfortunately, that is still 50 to 100 years or more later than most people need. But if you are going to events with time periods after the Civil War, then it is fine. Like cowboy/old west, Span-Am War, Alaskan gold rush, WW I.

In the end, it is a matter of personal choice. But check carefully if it will be allowed at the events you wish to attend. It will save some headaches down the road.

Panther has always had a good rep. I don't recall hearing any complaints.

Just my humble thoughts to share, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
justsara
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: pp Reply with quote

we have gotten 2 wall tents from them and one marquee and not one of them have been right...... the curtains were wrong on the marquee{ we knew enough to change them around} and the peek was not right and could not pull it tight... the wall tents had small flaws....
sorry but we were not happy..... sold or traded them off.....

sara
sixhands
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my friends have panther tents and have no complaints. What about Tentsmiths? I have them in mind for my new wedge but I don't know anyone who has one. They seem to have a wide variety (which I like) and say they have done the research. Anyone?
Joe Hinson
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tentsmiths British Dragoon wedge I bought about 15 yrs ago, it's still in great shape...
qcpidoc
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of Tentsmith's British Rev war wedges , one is 15 years old the other 10 and they still look new. The seams are all flat felled and double stitched and they are built like tanks. I've had them in 102 degrees down to below zero and they've survived high winds, snow, sleet, lots of sun and even a little hail. I've also snow camped quite a bit in Maine in one of their Egyptian cotton wall tents and they're incredible. Also have several larger Panther wedges from my old CW days and they've given good service and were a good value but the tentsmiths are better constructed. Just make sure you get the flame resistant fabric.
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three tents by Tentsmiths and two sets of canvas for my Indian lodges.The wall tent and the bell wedge have been in use for twenty four years. I have used one set of the Indian canvas for about the last eight years and the other set {now in reserve} for about five years. My tents have seen very hard usage due to where I have had to set up doing Civil War and Indian.I had to jury rig several tie loops on the bell wedge and once in a severe wind storm had to punch a hole in the side to hold it down after an old loop gave way.I sent the tent back to Peter to repair and add flaps on the bottom and to let me know what I owed him.I got the tent back in about six weeks and the invoice said simply NO CHARGE.I once told someone who asked about Peter's tents that I doubted they would last much more than sixty or seventy years but then nothing lasts forever.In short Peter makes a helluva good tent and I see an awful lot of them when I go north to Yankeeland each year.I guess you could say that I am a satisfied customer and this is a totally unpaid endorsement.
Tom Patton

Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one tentsmith's officer's marquee. It is ok except it allows the rain and wind to come in at the eve.

The rest of my tentage is all Panther.
4 wedges
2 flies
several ground cloths
1 wall tent
1 regency pavillion
1 18' square one pole marquee

All have been great, water proof, with doors closing properly and in the case of the marquees, the inner and outer storm flaps at the roof/wall joint have done a good job keeping weather out.

Their manufacture is as good or better than many others. All of their seams are double folded and flat sewn. None are just straight stitched with one line of stitching like I've seen one company further west doing. You also will not see raw canvas edges, nor pinked edges shown. All edges are folded and sewn.

My tents are mostly sunforger though two are of regular duck. All are flame retardant. The only difference I can tell is a slight color difference, and the duck is heavier in weight. My oldest tent is 15 years old and my newest is 1 year old.

I would go with a medium sized wedge for a first tent. Get one with two dors so it can also be propped open in hot weater, or matched with a second one later on. If you are above 5'5", you may want to consider a 7' ridge vs a 6' ridge. If interested in reenactments, I'd go with what your group suggests.

BlueDuck
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own their wall tent and the one poler(hunters tent) and no complaints, I live in the pacific northwest and we get plenty of rain and no leaks, I'm also getting out of the fur trade, so both tents are up for sale...Panther Primitives are good people to deal with.....I drew them a picture of what I wanted with dim's and that's what I received...perfect! A+++
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com