This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Building snow forts in NE Iowa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Building snow forts in NE Iowa Reply with quote

Yes, I've already had enough SNOW! I'm getting tired of ... building snow forts (also called shoveling out the driveway - it just sounds more "fun" saying it the other way).

From the County gravel road down into my yard. That "lump" on the right is a triple-box wooden wheeled farm wagon with the "bang boards" up.

Looking back to the road.

The old log Granary - and the view across the valley. Yes, those are limestone CLIFFS half way up that hill behind those couple pine trees. And at the base of that hill runs the state stocked trout stream! This part of Iowa is far from FLAT cornfields!

And the ... necessary ... back house!

Those "snow fort" walls are around 4 feet high already! I had started some "towers" along them, but the walls kind of just filled in between them.

The pics of my shop just don't show much. Just a huge mound of snow! All the iron scrap is buried! It almost looks ... too nice ... for a blacksmith shop.

So, it's ... near ... the end of December, and we already have 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. We usually have to wait another month for this amount of snow to build up. And they are predicting 3 to 6 more inches tonight and tomorrow! Rudolph better have his nose polished up bright!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading your posts for some years not, I wondered what your place looked like. Very nice indeed!
kent klein
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: More snow! Reply with quote

30" so far at the cabin in 24 hours and more falling, @ 8,300 feet in Utah! K. Klein
Stumblin Wolf
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: snow Reply with quote

Well Mike, at least your shop isn't 17 miles away like mine!! Now git out there and light a fire!
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: snow Reply with quote

Stumblin Wolf wrote:
Well Mike, at least your shop isn't 17 miles away like mine!! Now git out there and light a fire!

Well, when I help out Jay Hisel at his shop, that's 33 miles away over along the Mississippi River north of Lansing Iowa. www.bigriverforge.com

But it is nice to just take a few steps out to the "shop". But my "shop" is just several sheets of roofing tin nailed to some 2x4's and old tipi poles - with plastic tarps hanging mostly down the sides. LOTS of ventilation! But at least it keeps the snow off of all the tools! Ditto the rain. And then there is that little workbench/vice in the living room, and a larger one in the basement. But those are just for ... tinkering.

The good part about all that snow in the pics is that it COVERS UP all the junk and scrap iron, besides the weeds. And we just got another inch this evening, and they are predicting freezing rain/sleet overnight and through tomorrow! Rah rah.

At least I don't live on that one peninsula in the UP of Michigan that sticks out into the big lake. They AVERAGE 22 FEET of snow a year! Buffalo and Detroit always point them out as examples of how much worse it could be!

Lustig Weihnachten, y'all. (Merry Christmas - from those "southern" Germans)

skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 inches here in southern wisconsin rain ice and snow coming today.

Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzhugh Williams wrote:
After reading your posts for some years not, I wondered what your place looked like. Very nice indeed!

Hi, Fitz. And those aren't even the "scenic" places. Just what I get to look at every day.

Every fall a bunch of us hike down the valley and camp for a weekend down in them "mountains" as one Chicago boy called them. And those limestone bluffs/cliffs have lots of "rock houses" all through them. One right across the valley up behind those pine trees is probably a dozen or more feet deep and tall, and most of 2 dozen feet long. It also has several smaller cubbyholes off of it. Up the valley there is one natural "land bridge". The limestone ridge narrowed way down, and then the rocks fell out underneath - creating that natural bridge. You can walk across the top - if you want to fight your way through the pucker brush. And you can walk through it pretty easily, but you have to walk around one large rock right in the middle of it. It is around the size of an office desk.

Plust that stream is a State stocked trout stream. Yeah, we do have to put up with a lot of city folk cluelessly wandering around the countryside - who watched that movie A River Runs Through It several times, went out to Orvis/Cabelas, bought all the "right gear", and now consider themselves as THE expert on all things connected with trout fishing! And those who have to LECTURE me on what THEY think is the BEST WAY to manage the pasture to benefit them and their fishing - ALL trout fishermen! But if you just ignore those "intelectual experts" long enough, they get P/O'd and just leave.

So you can see, this area is far from that steriotypical image of Iowa being all flat fields of corn/soybeans/hay as far as the eye can see. And if you get over to along the Mississippi River, then you start to see some REAL hills.

Eh ... it's just a place I call home.

p.s. Freezing rain right now. On top of all that snow. Anything that was cleared off is now getting a good coating of ice!
Trkdriver99
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 60's here in upper east Tennessee today. I spent the day in my basement shop withe garage door open. This was my project of the day. It is 12x16x24 and covered with pigskin. I am going to use it as a"cookbox". Just to carry my plates, utensels and such in. There is one posted I believe on another board that belongs to Lloyd Moler. Mine is not as nice, but it is not complete yet.

Ronnie
p.s. looking for another "cold" day tomorrow.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we had fog and freezing mist yesterday, freezing rain overnight, and more freezing rain predicted all day today. They only expect 1/10 to 2/10 of an inch of ICE on everything! And then possibly turning over into a couple inches of snow overnight! So all that snow in my pics is now around 2/3 that deep, and glazed over!

Snow we can deal with. But this ICE is a real pain. And it is late enough into winter that the ice will probably stick around to bother us for the rest of winter!

Time to go spread some wood stove ashes up the driveway and around the mailbox - so the mailman has something of a chance to stop as he slides down the hill through this valley.

Court McFarland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Snow, Ice & Fog Reply with quote

I was up in your neck of the Woods yesterday Mike. Took a couple Amish 300 miles up to Platteville, WI to look at some dairy herds. I didn't care for the Fog at all. Slow driving all the way back to Southeast Iowa. Do like the pics of your place though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com