This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Long house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam McQueen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Long house Reply with quote

I work at an educational farm that was discovered to have had an old Native American campsite on it. Now these Native Americans were archaic Indians, but not much is known about them so we want to just make a cliche' "woodland" village on the site (has already been archeologically dug, so we wont be disturbing anything).

My question is, what should I cover the long house with? The farm is meant to be aesthetically pleasing so I can't go around de-barking trees to cover it in, and a bunch of animal hides aren't really in our budget. Are there any suggestions to make it look moderately accurate for a decent price?

Last edited by Sam McQueen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Condé
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the country are you in?

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sam McQueen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant to post that. I live in eastern Indiana.
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a archaeological report on the Native occupation site? post mold patterns? firepits?

Sam McQueen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The college that did the dig might have one. I'll have to ask if it can be made readily available.
Pete McKee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sam,

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm. But I think everyone's best interests will be served if the research is done before you even think about design and materials. Native structures are a HUGE investment in time, materials, and maintenance. Ask a LOT of questions before you ever put pencil to paper. Who were these people? You said an Archaic campsite. Why build a village to interpret a camp? Were these people hunter-gatherers, or corn growers, or both? The firepits may tell you what was being cooked. Possibly how long the site was occupied. Was there pottery? As Micheal pointed out, the post moulds will give you an idea of shape. Flat ended longhouse? Round ended longhouse? Round? Oblong? Square? Rectangle? What was the most abundunt plant species in the area during that time? How would that affect the decision of what to cover the structure with? Reed thatching? Bark? Woven or sewn mats? What animal hide would keep out the weather in a round topped longhouse style structure? Was that animal abundant enough to cover houses with its' skin? Were the structures even round topped?

Building a "cliche' " village is full of pitfalls. You are an educational institution. Your visitors will automatically assume that what you have built is accurate. What will a "cliche' " village say about the quality of educational programing at your site? There is the danger of presenting a generic woodland interpretation as the local "Indian" culture. The possibility of perpetuating myths and misinformation is real. The people who left their mark on the land you now occupy have inspired you to tell their story. Please tell it as accurately as possible.

I've done some thatching, some mat work, a little bark, and brush arbours, but I'm in the Virginia Tidewater. Micheal and others who frequent this board have done much much more than I have. But we can't help much until you know more about the Archaic culture in your area.

I don't want to discourage you, but to encourage the research aspect of the project. Hope this has helped some, and that I can be of more help later.

Take care,
Pete McKee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com