This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Gun Cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Gun Cleaning Reply with quote

There are tons of solvents out there that claim to remove black powder residue. However the best ive found is plain ol' windex. Sqirt a bunch down your barrel and just swab out the gunk. After that a little water to rinse out the soap and you are done.

Submitted by: Jack Briscoe - hollandbriscoe@hotmail.com on March 29, 2004

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gil
User

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: windex Reply with quote

j. that works very well, but warning, don't let something come up and you walk off and leave it for a while, if it gets on your stock it will stain and streak your stock and you will have to refinish, it happened to me. just thought i would pass it on. gil
jbullard1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found great results using windshield washer fluid thats made for winter use contains a little ammonia and alcohol
Groundhog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm "SIMPLE GREEN" cleaner works for me ... and the smell is pleasant.
Helps hide the rotten egg smell we have grown to love so much ...
G/HOG
mboyce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a mixture of windex, peroxide and Murphy's oil soap with great results in the past. The SIMPLEST and even most efficient cleaner that I have found to date though is just plain old hot water. You can add a little dish soap if you really need to add something.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
smk50

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be old fashioned, all I use at home is water, and saliva soaked patches fro swabbing at the range.
Longarm
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if i can remove the barrel I will. Otherwise one must be very carefull not to get water in the barrel chanel of the stock as this will cause rust on the underside of the barrel.

I use Dawn dishwashing soap along with very hot to boiling hot water. After scrubbing I rinse with clean boiling water and that dries out the barrel very well. I then run a couple of dry patches down just to be safe, and then follow up with bore butter or similar grease while the bore is still hot. This instantly re-seasons the bore and has worked great for me. Don't forget to rub bore butter or your favorite grease on the OUT SIDE of the barrel and other metal parts. Do this while the barrel is still hot from the boiling water. This is just as important to keep clean and well lubed to prevent rust.

I use a pipe cleaner to clean the touch hole. This insures that I will have good ignition. I also use an old tooth brush to clean other small parts.

A Lemon oil soaked patch rubbed up and down the stock is good for cleaning and preserving the wood. Doesn't hurt the metal either. I even rub this patch up and down the ram rod to clean it also.

On another note, bout once a year I use some metal polish (Flitz) and scrub the bore with that. Then rinse with boiling water. You wouldn't believe how black your patches come out when you thaught your bore was clean.

I am very particular about the care of my firearms. Therefore I store my guns in a silicone impregnated gun sock. (You can pick these up for about $6.00 a pce at your local sporting goods store) I then put them in my fire proof gun safe along with a de-humidifying agent inside.

I've never had any accurcy problems...in fact it keeps it very consitant. In the 13 + years that I have owned my .54 and other muzleloaders (8 in all) and thousands of shots later, they all look and shoot as good as the day I baught them.

Groundhog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That FLITZ works ... use it on everything from blued guns too ear rings... sure nuff does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com